Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:19 PM   #1

I have an Epson 3170 scanner. I have scanned many color negatives in the past without difficulty but now the scanner or software seems to think the 35mm negatives are only 32.2mm wide. I get part of the fist negative in the first thumbnail. The second thumbnail has the rest of the first plus some of the second negative and so on. I have tried unistalling the drivers and reinstalling both from my disc and from the latest update. The problem persists. It scans and finds slides and multiple prints ok.

I tried the demo of VueScan and after I setup the frames it works ok. Playing with VueScan leads me to think it is a software or driver problem. Somewhere there is a setup file that has the wrong dimensions for 35mm Color Negative film. Uninstalling the Epson Scanner software may not clean out everything so the problem persists.

I sure hope someone can advise me on a solution.
Todd Cumming is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:01 AM   #2

I spent some time on the phone with Epson Support last night. After trying everything they could think of, the person consulted with some of the other folks there and had me try negatives that had work before. Much to my surprise it worked. It turns out that the software does try to find the negatives. If the edges of the negatives are not clearly defined then it can get confused.

Solution: Use the normal preview instead of the thumbnail preview. Setup marques around each negative, select all and scan. If you change the film and preview again the morgues are still there. I used marques bigger than the negative because I will be cleaning up these scans with Photoshop and can crop them better later.
Todd Cumming is offline   Reply With Quote