Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:55 PM   #1

I'm scanning some color slides on an Epson Perfection 2400 scanner. It has been a few years since I scanned slides, so I do not remember whether I have the emulsion side up or down? I also do not remember the best settings. At what DPI should I scan and do I scan at 100% or larger? Also, should I use sharpening during the scan or afterwards?
GovtLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:02 PM   #2

You should always have the emulsion side down in order to make a positive image. The emulsion side is the back of the slide.

JR
JDR525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:32 PM   #3

Also, the emultion side is generally the side with the manufacturers name (ie: Kodak) printed on it.
Kent Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:45 PM   #4

clarify for me (i'm new with slides myself, sorry): the emulsion-side will be the "front" (the side you hold towards you if looking head-on) and the "back" will be the side with "this side towards screen" printed on it (at least, in a few of my slides)?
--thanks
Falco98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:21 AM   #5

Assuming the slides are mounted correctly, the side that says "This Side Toward Screen" should be the emulsion side. A surer way to tell is the that emulsion side is not quite specular (shiny, perfectly flat, actually means image preserving) while the base side is unless scratched. Holding alight at an angle should show the emulsion as having a slight texture, and the reflection of the light will be somewhat fuzzy compared to the base side. It can be hard to tell at first. If you have strips that aren't mounted (like negatives) a small drop of distilled water placed outside the image area will quickly reveal the emulsion side - it will be absorbed and turn cloudy, whereas the water drop will just bead up on the base side.

For scanning, you usually want the emulsion side closet to the sensor, with the ligth shining through the base and then the emulsion - that normally will give the sharpest image, as the light has no chance to be distorted after the emulsion image by any imperfections in the optical quality of the base.
mhuth is offline   Reply With Quote