Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1

In the past 20 years, I have collectedthousands of old (some over 100 years) family photos. I now want to scan, archive and share the photos with other family members. I own a Canon 8400F Scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as the process (resolution, type - jpg?,identifying/labelling photos,...???) and software to do the initial scan and archive?

Thanks
foggydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:31 AM   #2

My method:
1) Type: I use jpg , to save space. A medium resolution is enough for me (300dpi is plenty) I scan in color and make correction afterward (convert to gray scale, sepia, repair, etc… )
2) Identifying and Labelling: I use ACDSee, it does batch rename with sequential number , etc … , also use CKRename in some complex cases.
3) Initial scan: I use the software that came with the scanner , then XP override it , it's ok.
4) I archive by subject, for family photo, I archive by name, group name and occasions.
5) Share: I send them by email, or just burn on a CD/DVD to save upload time/quota.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:47 AM   #3

Another cool idea for old family photos is to put an annotation on the bottom, identifying who each person is in the picture.

You'd be suprised, after one generation, nobody will know who most of the people are in the picture.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote