Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:17 AM   #1

I have loads of negatives, thinking of scanning them, will any Flatbed scanner work ? I have an ACER 330U scanner. Will it work ? If yes, what software do i require for it. Can some one guide / help me please ?
chetansha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2005, 1:02 PM   #2

A flatbed can be used to scan slides and negatives but it needs a transparency adapter.
Many of the newer flatbeds come with one already installed in the scanner lid, it is a second light source that shines through the negative/transparenby and allows the scanner bar to record the image.

A flatbed can do good work, but even the best of them still can't compete with the output produced by dediacted slide/negative scanners like the minolta scan-duals.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 2:46 PM   #3

Let me hunt for a transparency adapter now. tks guys
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:06 AM   #4

Before rushing out to buy a transparency adapter, it's probably advisable to do a bit more research. I had an older HP flatbed scanner for which I bought HP's transparency adapter. The scans of negatives were absolutely horrible. From what I've read this seems to be more of the rule rather than the exception with flatbed scanners. Try to find someone who has used the Acer 330U to scan negatives, and see if you can get them to post some examples of their scans.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:19 AM   #5

Ok. thanks, i will ask around . but very doubtful if i can find an acer 300 user.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:23 AM   #6

Along the same lines. . . . I have an epson 1250. I can purchase the film adapter, for about $40. Do you think I can achieve satisfactory results? How will I edit the images once I scan them? I'm considering purchasing Adobe PhotoShop elements 4 will this work?
marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:05 AM   #7

If your scanner is 300PPI optical (600 X 300) it isn't worth getting an adapter. They don't usually work very well and 300PPI isn't sufficient for scanning. If your scanner doesn't have an adapter socket there is no way to turn off the lower light and activate the light in the scanner. HP made an adapter with a mirror in it to use the lower light, but it didn't work very well.

Negatives have an orange hue which is very hard to remove unless the scanner software is set up to remove it with a negative setting.

For very little more money you can get a 2400 PPI scanner with a built-in adapter and the software to convert the negatives. I'm not familiar with prices in India, but there are some 2400 X 4800 photo flatbeds available pretty cheap here.

marg I don't think the results would be worth the $40. You can get an Epson 3490 for less than $100 delivered: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...ne&nextloc= It is 3200 PPI optical, has a built-in adapter and has the software to properly scan negatives. You get quality improvements up to 3200 PPI with slides and negatives, so the scans would be much better. The little adapters don't work as well as the built in ones for some reason, It might not have come with the right software and it is only 1200PPI optical (1200 X 2400).

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 4:28 PM   #8

Thanks for taking the time to reply. . . my scanner is a few years old, and technology does march on! I'll plan to purchase a new scanner. - Margaret
marg is offline   Reply With Quote