Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:06 AM   #1

Trying to decide between these two, Epson Perfection 4180 Photo or Canon Canoscan 8400F.

I know the Canon is faster, (and probably noisier too), and it has hardware based dust and scratch removal with FARE Level 3.

The Epson equivalent is software based and apparently not as good at the task as the Canon.

I will be scanning negatives, but really not very many. Mostly scanning old photos.

Will I really need the FARE level 3 ? Is it worth getting at the cost of missing the slightly better quality (sharper) scans from the Epson ? (according to one review).

I am leaning towards the Epson, as I will not be sitting over the scanner waiting for dozens at a time, the speed issue is not likely to bother me.

The film scan holders appear to give more options with the Epson, so it is there for any future use.

Basically I would like you to give me your opinions and experiences with either of these two and as I said at the top, would I kick myself for not getting the Canon with FARE level 3 ??

Appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:26 PM   #2

It's ok, have decided on the Canoscan 8400F after reading several reviews on both and a positive report from Hards80.

Thanks Dustin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote