Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:52 AM   #1

The Canon 8400F or the Epson 3590? Looking for a flatbed scanner (to replace my old Canon CanoScan N656U) and also to scan 35mm negatives at reasonable quality so I can digitive my film work and also edit/enhancing them. Can't afford a dedicated film scanner so looking into these 2 flatbed scanner which falls into the $149.99 USD price range. Which one would give me better quality scans for negative film? Thanks for you help. I know that the 8400F is 1 years old and the epson is just out, but which is better?
jiayaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:38 PM   #2

Possibly as the Epson 3590 is new, as you stated, there aren't manymembers whoown it yet.

Also it is very unlikely that anyone will own, or have owned both.

I recently bought the Canoscan 8400F instead of the Epson 4190 after reading several reviews and it being given the seal of approval by another member who knew both these machines.

The only advantage I can see with the 3590 is the auto feeder for film. But everywhere I have looked, suggest the quality of the scans are better with the 8400F over the 4190. Whether that is the case between the 8400F and 3590 I don't know.

One of the reviews that swung it for me is HERE

I'm happy withmy Canoscan 8400F so far.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 12:32 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply, and I am gonna order the 8400F soon after I can find a reliable online retailor with a better price than $149 in he local stores in the US (i am getting a relative in the US to help me XD) since I live in Canada and the price of the scanner here is $249 cdn... very expensive compared to buying in the states XD.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 2:59 AM   #4

I presume you mean a relative will buy it, then send it on to you ??

Amazon.com have it for $128.99 HERE

B&H have it for $139.95 plus $50.00 for UPS Expedited delivery (2-4 business days) to Canada HERE

So if your relative can get it and send it to you for less than $189.95 US, ($225.84 Canadian), it'll be best to let them get it.

Good luck.

Old Sep 1, 2005, 9:19 AM   #5

Thanks, =). my relative can help me order it, and then when it arrives, he will drive up to Canada and hand it over to me. Thats because he always visit us, and that we live in Vancouver and he only lives in Seatle.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 1:36 AM   #6

Ive finally ordered the 8400F today!!!! Got it for $129.45 total @ www.newegg.com and thank you for helping me decide on which scanner to get for the purpose I want.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:03 AM   #7

I have only scanned a handful of negatives, but have been very pleased with the results so far !!

Only a few seconds to scan a preview, then make any necessary adjustments prior to scanning into Photoshop.

Subsequent speed varies from very quick to not so, depending on the resolution settings of course. (But the 'not so' is still pretty quick !!)

I also enjoy helping someone to purchase an item for nearly half the price I paid for it :roll:.

Mine cost me £125.00, which was by far the cheapest price here,and if you bought it here, would cost you $230.00 US. And if I could have bought it over there it would have cost me £69.00 :angry:.

I'm sure you will be pleased with it though 8).
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:21 AM   #8

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:

Mine cost me £125.00, which was by far the cheapest price here,and if you bought it here, would cost you $230.00 US. And if I could have bought it over there it would have cost me £69.00 :angry:.
But Steve, consider all the extra work needed to translate everything into your language! :blah:

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:50 PM   #9

Bit of a delayed response here Brian, had to get your text translated, :blah:back atcha :lol:.

But I see what you're saying. Now I know what my wife means when she says she doesn't understand me