Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Sep 24, 2005, 11:46 AM   #1

I recently purchased a Konica Minolta scan dual IV film scanner for archiving a few thousand family slides. I have been quite happy with the image quality and the software is very good, considering the price.

There have been some annoying problems however. Often when starting a batch scan, it will "hang" while focusing the 1st scan, or it may do the 1st scan very, very slowly then hang on the 2nd autofocus. Restart a couple times and it is good for a couple hundred scans, until it gets hot and seems to have some trouble advancing the slide holder.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It would be great if it was just a matter of resolving a software issue, or installing new drivers, but Konica Minolta doesn't have any online tech support that I can find.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kent Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:25 AM   #2

I had the very same problem, getting very hot and locking up on scanning. I sent mine back to Konica/Minolta under warentee for a repair/service. On receiving it back I found it to be a bit better. Sometimes it works perfectly other time after scanning a few slides it locks up. I also found that the images from the scans sometimes have what looks like dust/hair marks on them which weren't there on the original slides.

I am now saving for a Nikon Coolscan V which I have used (a friends) as I found no such problems and the Digital Ice software which comes with it does an amazing job of cleaning up any marked negs/slides.
pixmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:17 PM   #3

I also had a Minolta ScanDual IV with problems.

First: I replaced the software with ViewScan http://www.hamrick.com.

Second: I found scanner needs time to warm up.

Third: After prolonged use it will overheat. I remove the cover and placed a small fan near the unit.

The Final Fix: I replaced it with a Nikon Coolscan. I use the ViewScan software on my Nikon.
filmscanusa is offline   Reply With Quote