Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Nov 3, 2005, 4:43 PM   #1

I hope this is not too off-topic for this forum section: I am in the process of scanning several hundred family slides and would like to know how I can transfer them to DVD. What software is available, is there an optimum size for the image files, and how does the file size of the individual photos relate to the capacity of the DVD? Any help would be appreciated,

-Bill
spurlocktool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:00 AM   #2

I have been making a lot of slideshows for family and friends' families and the program I have been using is called "Memories on TV". Their site is: http://www.codejam.com/

This program is cheap and it works great! As far as file size goes, any slide show that completely fills a DVD is one that no one will sit through to watch. I find that most people, even family with their own photo slide show, will watch a show for a maximum of 30 minutes - and that is pushing it!
HollyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:29 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply hollyho. I went ahead and bought ProSHow Gold. It is a very nice program with lots of capability, but crashes constantly on my desktop computer; works fine on my laptop. Now I have a problem that the DVDs do notplay wellon many players (mostly TV connectedbut also some propblems on computer DVD drives). The problem seems to be on cheap DVD players or on older models. From what I read on various forums, this seems to be a common problem. How are yours working? Anything you've learned about how to make the DVDs more compatible with most players? Thanks,

Bill
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:11 AM   #4

Sorry about the delay in my response!

So far I have had only one problem with a DVD slideshow on a friends old DVD player, an LG unit. He has since purchased a cheapie DVD player ($59 at Costco) and all the DVD's work fine on that one.

I tried the demo version of ProShow Gold and it is quite good too. I find that you really only need two or three different slide transitions. The MOTV program was a bit cheaper and I have been really happy with it. Does the ProShow always show their little intro on slideshows that you produce? Or was that just my demo version?

Happy slideshowing!
HollyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:54 AM   #5

I've solved both problems now. ProSHow came out with version 2.6, which solved the crashing problem. Then I downloaded a firmware upgrade for my DVD burner, bought better grade blank media, and burn at 2X speed instead of the default "max" and the DVDs seems to work fine on all players I have tried.

In ProShow youhave the option of eliminating the intro show or choosing one of your own.