Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:13 PM   #1

Greetings,

My family has used 35mm cameras for a long time now. I don't have all the negatives from the pictures but i do have all the prints ( most are 4x6). I am looking for a scanner that has great quality and able to scan more then 1 at a time.i amnNot worried about price. Any suggestions would begreat full.

Thank you

P.S. Thank you for all the great reviews and info.

Mike

lookout888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:37 AM   #2

You can scan as many photos as you can fit on the scanning area at a time. When I archive my images, I do at least two 4"x6"s at a time. When I'm done, I open the scan in PS CS2 and use the crop and straighten automation. It works very well and saves me a little time and energy.

I use the Epson 4490...a truly great scanner for the price. At $249, you get 4800dpi, Digital Ice, and the ability to scan medium format film and well as batch scanning 35mm negative and positive film. The scanning area is about 8.5"x11.7".

I recommend scanning at 1200dpi for all of your prints. The reason for this, is naturally it will give you a better quality scan, but it will also let you enlarge anything you scan up to four times without losing any quality. A 4"x6" can be printed a 16"x24" and still look like the original 4"x6". You may not NEED to do any enlargements at all, but you never know what you'll wantdown the road.

If you're going to put the time and effort into doing it, you might as well do it right. The reason I say this, is I scanned a few hundred images before I realized I should probably do higher resolution scans and I rescanned those few hundred again and kicked myself for not doing it right the first time.

This is what works for me, if you don't want to take the time or don't think you'll ever need larger scans, then don't do it, but I think whoever sees/uses these images in the future would be happier having something more to work with.

There are plenty of scanners out there, but I would recommend an Epson or Microtek. Epson has both the 4490 and 4990 that are terrific. Microtek has the i700 and i800. They all scan at 4800dpi and have digital ICE, but the Microtek's have a larger scan area allowing you to scan three 4"x6"s at a time.

One last thing, to save yourself a lot of time, use automation features in Photoshop. Either CS2 will work, or Elements 4.0. Will either one of those, you will be able to get great results with minimum editing.

Best of luck!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:55 AM   #3

You might want to read this. http://scantips.com/basics08.html Go to the next page where he does tests with a shot taken with a fixed focal length Nikon lens on a tripod and still can't get improvement over 300 PPI. Once you exceed the resolution of the photo the scanner is just guessing at the intermediate pixels. You do just as well with a Lanczos resample from Irfanview if you need a larger image for some reason. You just increase your scan times and storage space by scanning over 300 PPI.

You will get much better results scanning the negatives for the pictures you have them for. That is assuming an upper end photo flatbed is used. There are some samples in this review: http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...0/Page%201.htm If you don't intend scanning the negatives that is probably more scanner than you need. I would guess that the 4770 would do just as good a job on good prints, although the Digital Ice on it doesn't work for prints as on the 4990. Digital Ice is mostly for negatives and slides, but it can help with scratches and dust on prints.

The Microtek i800 that SlapNTickleJr suggested looks good for your purposes. If you can't separate out multiple images in the scanner software you might as well put four 4 X 6 prints sideways. Since you have to separate them out in an image editor anyway it isn't much trouble to rotate them first. It seems you could put three on a standard flatbed with two vertical and one beneath it. But the 14 inch bed on the i800 would be better in either case for scanning a bunch of photos.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 12:53 PM   #4

I don't fully agree with the 300ppi rule. Especially when doing cropping or enlargements. When scanning above the 300ppi, the scanner IS indeed scanning actual dots or pixels. When resizing in PS, the computer makes an educated guess as to what the created pixels should look like. The scanner isn't guessing, it is actually digitizing what the CCD sees. And like I said, the reason to scan at 1200dpi, is so be able to enlarge or crop without losing detail.

Don't believe me? Try it. Scan a 4"x6" at 300dpi and 1200dpi and do an enlargement and crop from both. Even after interpolating the 300ppi scan, it won't match the 1200ppi scan.

I've read your first link before and tried it myself to see if that was correct. I found the results so be similar definitely, but not equal. Also, there is a difference between scanning a inkjet print and a chemistry print. There are no dots in chemistry, so everything melds together. In inkjet, there are actual dots that can be picked up and made more noticeable in a scan. That is why I feel chemistryprints yield better scans.

Naturally, film has greater detail since it is the original form. A copy is never as good as the original unless it's digital to digital.

These are just my thoughts, not trying to say you or anyone else is wrong, this is just how I feel from my personal experiences. Do whatever works, that's what I always tell my clients.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote