Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:29 PM   #1

I have 200 to 300 1/2 35mm slides and another 200 full 35mm slides to scan. I'm looking for a low cost scanner ( around $250 ) that will do a good job. I also have a number of 1/2 35mm frames that are not mounted. I'm hoping to be able to scan them also without having to mount them first. I have narrowed my selection to the EPSON Perfection 4490 flatbed scanner and the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV Film Scanner. I am leaning toward the Epson since it can also scan prints if the need arises. It also comes with Digital ICE.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated. Is there another scanner that might be better in this price range?
holabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:36 AM   #2

If you've looked through previous forum posts, you'll know that I love my 4490 and recommend it as the best valued scanner currently out there. I scan all transparency film (negatives or slides) at 4800dpi and all prints at 1200dpi. This is what works bestfor ME.

The scanner itself is great, but slight tweaks in PS are a must if you want great images. The most useful tool I have found after scanning film, is the Reduce Noise filter in CS2...it's amazing what it does to get rid of random color noise. I usually run that filter, a dust and scratches filter, either some levels or curves adjustment, and the smart sharpen filter. I automate these tasks. I have an automation for prints, one for slides, and one for negatives. Saves so much time!

The 4490 as with all Epson scanners runs a little cool as far as colors go, but that's the only grip I have with it, but I knew that would be the case before I even upgraded from the 3170.

I say get the Epson, although I've heard good things about the Konica Minolta.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote