Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:39 PM   #1

I just bought a new photo printer (Canon Pixma iP6600D) and I would like to also buy a scanner to go with it. I will use the scanner for photos (some very old photos back to the 1930's and 40's); for documents, flyers, and slides. I do not want to spend more than $250.00. So far, after much research, I am looking at these s:
Canon Canoscan LiDO 8400F - around $129.00 shipped
Epson Perfection 4490 - $225.00 - $250.00 shipped
Epson Perfection 3490 - $99.00

For my needs, which of these s would be best? They all have received at least four stars or more and very good user reviews in general. Or are there other s I have overlooked?
Also, can someone please explain to this newbie what VueScan and Silverfast Ai are? Should I buy one of these? Which is better? Are they compatible with the above models? Thanks
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:46 PM   #2

If you will not be scanning slides and film I would go with the Epson 3490 just based on price. If you plan to scan negatives and slides the Epson 4490 is better.

Vue Scan and Silverfast are advanced drivers. Silverfast is too pricey IMO and might not be even available for that level of scanner. Vue Scan is more reasonable and can give better quality scans than the manufacturer's driver. I have Vue Scan and find I do just as well in an image editor after the scan if I am careful with the histogram to not clip any information.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:33 PM   #3

Thank you Slipe. Will VueScan work with the Epson 4490? (I do plan to scan slides and old photos, so I am now leaning towards that model, thanks to your advice.) While it costs more than the Canon 8400F, Epson is offering a $50 mail-in rebate on that model, so that brings the price down considerably.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 5:27 PM   #4

VueScan works with the Epson 4490. I would first learn to use the Epson driver which is very good. Then use the free trial of VueScan and see if you get enough improvement to justify the cost. It is a good program.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 7:19 PM   #5

What is the difference in scan quality between Epson 3490 and 4490 if only text and pictures are scanned?

Are there any other (like HP or Microtek) scanners in this price which are better than Epson 3490? Thanks.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:07 PM   #6

I cannot answer that question, but I chose the Epson 4490 for its higher resolution and excellent reviews, especially at PCMag.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:53 AM   #7

Hi,

Is Epson 4490 good for scanning multiple documents and will it change the documents to pdf.

Also are there other scanners which come with silver fasr software.

Any place for scanner reviews.

thanks

ag
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:51 PM   #8

cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote