Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:03 AM   #1

Hi all. Veru useful Forum this! I hope you can help.

Narrowed my search to the Canon 8400F, but at £180 for the 3200x6400 res. its seems expensive next to the rated Epson 3490(£65), 3590(£85), and the Epson 4490(£160) has 4800x9600 res.forless money.

However,the Canon hasa feature that attracts me.....An A4/ A3 easy stitch option, ie, scan your A3 Document in 2 A4 scans and it will seamlessly match them together.

I do A3 size Artists Impressions, so this facility seems useful as it saves me having to go out a have my A3 original reduced to an A4colour copy just so I can scan it. Plus, it keeps the scan in touch with my original, and not one step removed.

Does anyone know if the Epsons have this facility...all I can find is something called "Image Matching"?

And generally, what would be your opinion on the scanners I mention, all have a Straight to PDF function...and good res for film and neg manipulation.

Hope you can help.

Happy New Year to you all!

The stupidgrinner.

stupidgrinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:19 AM   #2

The Epson 4490 has dust removal. So it's better than Canon 8400.
However, after a year of scanning on a UMAX 1200S A4+ scanner, I ended up years ago in getting an Epson GT 10000 A3 scanner. That one is so fast and convenient for direct A3 scans that I cannot ever reconsider having to work with less for any A3 scan.
The timeand hassle you save is worth it.
janlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:21 PM   #3

I could be wrong, but Canons website says the 8400F does have dust and scratch removal.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...42&id=6168

But it says its for film. I'm not sure about pictures or slides.

janlef wrote:
Quote:
The Epson 4490 has dust removal. So it's better than Canon 8400.
However, after a year of scanning on a UMAX 1200S A4+ scanner, I ended up years ago in getting an Epson GT 10000 A3 scanner. That one is so fast and convenient for direct A3 scans that I cannot ever reconsider having to work with less for any A3 scan.
The timeand hassle you save is worth it.
tcool93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 7:43 AM   #4

Epson 4490 has also some basic hardware assisted dust removal but it seems to be slower (even without dust removal use) than Canon 8400 and people say it isn't that great the figures suggest. They suggest the Dmax isn't even on the same level with Canon 8400, even if resolution is supposed to be on par with Canon 9950 or Epson 4990.

I am also looking for home scanning and yet don't know if Canon 9950 or Epson 4990 worth their cost.
I don't know how good Canon 8400 or Epson of the same kind are.
janlef is offline   Reply With Quote