Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:06 AM   #1

I am looking for a best solution (software+scanner) for several thousand slides, majority Kodachrome 25´s. Back in late 90´s I used Agfa Duoscan1200 in the office and it was OK for Ektachromes but produced poor results, in some cases plain miserable ones, for perfect Kodachrome 25 originals. speed and price are not my priorities, this is going to be a long time project. feedback from those with solid experience of Kodachrome 25 scanning would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
jaakko_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:06 PM   #2

Nikon LS5000ED with or without slide feeded works well. I've scanned about 1000 k25 slides with little trouble. The digital ICE is sometimes cited as causing a problem with Kodachromes, but it has worked well for me. DEE lets you compensate for the toe densities of many slide films, not just Kodachrome.
mhuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:14 AM   #3

For KC 25 I even suggest if you have thousands and expect something to do with them (no home purpose) to use Nikon 5000 ED with the slide feeder.
The problem is that you even need more than 4000dpi. KC25 are about the smallest grain you can expect from a film. If you can find a class="black16b"Minolta Elite 5400, the 1400 dpi more may be usefull.
I don't have it for testing, but I have seen some tests on internet that show the difference on films with bigger grain (I remember wondering about testing on these).
In fact you could see that among clouds of grains you could see edgy details way better. probably zooming these will tell you much more than 4000 dpi. This was very visible with trees that you could tell one from another with better definition.
janlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 10:54 AM   #4

are you talking about the KMDimage 5400 or the 5400-II which has DigIce4 and different illumination (the former, fluorescent, the latter LED) ?? janlef wrote:
Quote:
For KC 25 I even suggest if you have thousands and expect something to do with them (no home purpose) to use Nikon 5000 ED with the slide feeder.
The problem is that you even need more than 4000dpi. KC25 are about the smallest grain you can expect from a film. If you can find a class="black16b"Minolta Elite 5400, the 1400 dpi more may be usefull.
I don't have it for testing, but I have seen some tests on internet that show the difference on films with bigger grain (I remember wondering about testing on these).
In fact you could see that among clouds of grains you could see edgy details way better. probably zooming these will tell you much more than 4000 dpi. This was very visible with trees that you could tell one from another with better definition.
bubbah is offline   Reply With Quote