Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:29 PM   #1

Can someone recommend an excellent quality flatbed scanner for $100-$350? I will mainly be using it to scan color photographs but would also like the capability of scanning negatives and slides. I am a professional graphic designer using Photoshop CS2 on a Windows XP platform.

All suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated!
jamnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 1:19 PM   #2

For that price, the Epson 4490 will do a terrific job. It runs between $200-250 at most places. 4800dpi capability, Digital ICE, slide and film adapters. Also, Microtek and Canon make some great scanner's that fit within you're budget as well. Best of luck!

Cheers!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:37 PM   #3

Check out the Canon 9950 F. It has similar capabilities to the Epson 4490.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:55 PM   #4

Thanks for your suggestions. I have narrowed it down to three scanners. Epson 4990, Canon 9950 or the HP 4890.

Any thoughts?
jamnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 7:54 PM   #5

It's just about a toss-up between the Epson and Canon. In comparison, about the only thing that the HP has going for it is the price. This comment pretty much sums up what I've read about the HP:

Although sturdy and stylish, the Scanjet 4890's main selling point is the speed of delivery, but its less-than-impressive image quality and so-so software won't elevate it above the competition.

Here are a few excerpts from reviews comparing the Epson and Canon:

Scan quality for slides and film isn't a match for a good film scanner but is far better than most flatbeds. On dynamic range—the ability to retain detail based on different levels of shading—the 4990 Photo is a close match to the 9950F. Both lose detail in dark areas, like a tree line against a bright sky, but the 4990 loses a bit more than the 9950F, while retaining more detail in light areas, like clouds. The two are also a close match for actual resolution when scanning at a claimed 2400 dpi.

Unlike the 9950F, the 4990 Photo largely overlooks anything not directly concerned with photos. There's no document management program, for example, and Abbyy FineReader 5.0 Sprint Plus is an extremely limited OCR program by today's standards. (The current version of FineReader is 7.0.) If you want an all-purpose scanner with an emphasis on photos and film, the 9950F has the advantage. But if photos, slides, and film are your primary concern, the 4990 Photo, with Digital ICE and somewhat better scan quality for photos, has a distinct edge.

Here are links to extremely thorough reviews of the Epson and Canon:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int.../Page%2010.htm

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...50F/page_1.htm

Get your coin-flipping thumb warmed up!

Grant

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 5:45 PM   #6

I have been using the Epson 4490 to scan a lot of odd 1/2 frame 35 mm stereo slides that are more than 50 years old. The results are amazing. I really like the DigitalICEto clean up dirt and spots on the slides. I would highly recommend the Epson 4490. Also check the Epson web site for any rebates they may be having on their scanners. Since there is no holder for the stereo slides, I've had great success just lining them up on the bed under the built in transparancy light and using VueScan to do the framing and cropping.
holabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:49 PM   #7

Do you have any simple slides photos that you have scan to see the results?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"How many slides can the Epson Perfection 4490 can scan?
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 2:24 AM   #8

When people recommend a scanner, it'd be nice to see a couple of their better scanned samples attached.
joey_ is offline   Reply With Quote