Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:34 PM   #1

Hi,

I've found some old negatives from my parents' apartment from about 30 years ago. The film is 24x36mm and being new to all this I've been looking at ways to develop said film. I heard recently from a guy at a photography store that setting up a dark room nowadays is really expensive (several thousand dollars for an enlarger?), so I'm looking into the digital route everyone is taking.
After looking at several reviews of film negative scanners I've noticed that all of them m advertise as 35mm scanners... am I out of luck? are the readers really measured down to the milimeter that a 36mm wouldn't fit?

thanks,
andrew
andrew_eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:29 PM   #2

Andrew

Not sure if you are referring to the "total" negative size or the "image" size. However, the size you mention (24x36mm) is the standard "image" size for 35mm film. The 35mm in 35mm film refers to the total width of the film including the border and perforations. So if your film is in strips with perforations and is 35mm wide then any 35mm file scanner should do the job.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/135_filmfor more details on 35mm film and a picture of the standard 35mm format.
pdannatt is offline   Reply With Quote