Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:46 PM   #1

Asked this in another thread, but didn't get an answer.

Basically I am trying to find a decent (albeit not very expensive scanner) that can scan photos, documents, patterns, etc.

From reading other posts, the Epson Perfection 4490 and the Canon 8400f seem to be the main contenders.

I would prefer not to spend more than $100-$150, but if the Epson is worth it I will definately consider it. Besides, maybe I'll get lucky and they will offer another rebate soon.

Is the main plus of the Epson the better resolution? Is the resolution worth the extra $100 or would I be just as happy with the Canon?

Also, I am not set on these two. If anyone has better suggestions, I am open.

Thank you.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I doubt it matters, but I currently have a Canon 6000d. Just in case a Canon printer works better with a Canon scanner...
cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:04 AM   #2

I don't want you to feel ignored. Your post is impossible to answer. You don't think you need film and slide capability but you might find you scan film and slides often. It makes a BIG difference.

Photos don't have over 300 PPI of information and you are just spinning your wheels scanning photos higher than that. You might scan the patterns in line art or one bit black and white mode at 600 PPI. All that matters if you don't want to do film and slides is color accuracy and speed. Most modern scanners from major makers do a decent job.

The only scanners to absolutely avoid are the skinny scanners with CIS sensors. They are generally slower and have absolutely no depth of field for folds in your patterns. And CIS sensors aren't very good.

Epson scanners seem to usually be rated higher within categories. A 3490 or 3590 would probably be a great scanner for you if you aren't going to scan film and slides. They both have film and slide capability and the 3590 has a nifty film feeder. But you would get better film scans with the 4490 because of the higher resolution and probably better optics for film and slides.

There is no correlation between scanner and printer brands. They will all use the same sRGB color space as default.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:14 AM   #3

Quote:
"I don't want you to feel ignored. Your post is impossible to answer. You don't think you need film and slide capability but you might find you scan film and slides often. It makes a BIG difference."
Sorry about that. I thought about it some more and I believe it won't be a feature I will need. Just photo's, documents, and some stuff inbetween.

Quote:
"Epson scanners seem to usually be rated higher within categories. A 3490 or 3590 would probably be a great scanner for you if you aren't going to scan film and slides. They both have film and slide capability and the 3590 has a nifty film feeder. But you would get better film scans with the 4490 because of the higher resolution and probably better optics for film and slides."
I'll take a look at those two. Thank you.
cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote