Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:23 PM   #1

I'm looking to invest $500. or less in a slide/negative scanner. Do the Epson and/or Canon flatbeds equal the Nikon Coolscan series in quality?

scthrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:19 PM   #2

In order the best flatbeds for film and slides are the Epson V700, Epson 4990 and Canon 9950F. This has a comparison with the Nikon 4000: http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...700/page_8.htm The difference is very small, but the Nikon turned in a slightly better scan.

But the Epson flatbeds will scan 4 film strips at once and the Canon 5 strips. I was surprised how effective the digital scratch and dust removal was on the Canon compared to the true Digital Ice on the Epsons and Nikon. The Canon scratch and dust removal is several times as fast, which would be significant scanning multiple strips.

I'm planning to scan my collection and would not have the patience to feed my film strips into my film scanner one strip at a time. My film scanner probably isn't as good as the V700 anyway. I might wait for the V750 for a comparison.

The Canon 9950 is probably the better buy and does an excellent job much faster if you use scratch and dust removal. Photo i has reviews of all three with comparisons with the Nikon.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:21 PM   #3

Thanks, you're a big help in this forum.
scthrash is offline   Reply With Quote