Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Aug 22, 2006, 3:46 PM   #1

I

I am beginning to think it is time to transfer my collection of 35mm slides (transparencies) to DVD. The slides are in standard universal 50 slide carriers. Each carrier has slides in date order, but over the years about 1% of the slides have wound up out of order in the wrong carriers. The main purpose of the exercise is to give copies of the DVDs to family members to remind them of years gone by.

My initial idea is to project the slides and photograph them with my DSLR camera, this will give a manageable 5Mb/slide and has the advantage that the process does not require manually removing the slides from their carriers and that each slide can be assessed before it is photographed. I would then use Photoshop Elements, or similar software, to correct the sequence errors, to compose the slides into slide shows and to commit them to DVD. I realise that this will give copies that are far from exhibition quality, but I hope it will give results good enough for family viewing.

I will be grateful for any comments on the quality I am likely to achieve and for any suggestions of alternative methods which could be less laborious and give better results, while still being feasible for this number of slides.

alzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:03 PM   #2

A dedicated film or slide scanner is the only way to go.
filmscanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:22 PM   #3

I have just finished scanning my sildes. I have found that it takes about 6 mins each at a resolution suitable for an A4 print. that does not include the adjustments to quality.

There are a number of choices to load to dvd or CDR for that matter either as jpg or as a slide show with commentary and music

More you put in longer it takes

Terry
Teddy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote