Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Feb 7, 2007, 4:49 PM   #1

Now that Kodak is attacking the market with lower priced inkjet consumables, I wonder if Canon, Epson, HP et.al. will respomd by lowering the prices of their inks.

It would sure seem that they have plenty of room in their cost structures to do so.

What do you think?

-------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:59 PM   #2

Nobody cares what Kodak does. Kodak doesn't sell (for the residential market) a printer that does anything larger than 4 x 6.

If HP dropped its price on ink, then Canon and Epson would respond. But that's not going to happen. HP is practically giving away their photo printers so people will have to come back to buy their ink cartridges. The HP PhotoSmart D5069 lists for $69.99 complete with black and tri-color ink cartridges, but when purchased seperately, those same ink cartridges cost$44.98. The printer's only worth $25.01! And it'll do 8 x 10s, unlike Kodak's printers.

This isexactly whatGillette used to do: give away the razors so people will buy your blades.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Kodak doesn't sell (for the residential market) a printer that does anything larger than 4 x 6.
You may not have seen this:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ko...inters_pr.html

---------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:55 PM   #4

You're right. I had not.

But HP has the residential market sewn up (during back-to-school sales, my grocery store sells HP printers.) Epson and Canon are for pros and semi-pros. So Kodak's competition is HP, and their EasyShare 5100 at $149.99 competes with HP's PhotoSmart C4180 (4 x 6 prints at 25 sec. vs 28 sec. for the Kodak) at $134.99 (after rebate.) And the HP has a display that the Kodak lacks. And the HP can print on CDs and DVDs.

It's an alternative product, to be sure. But I don't think it will be a market force anytime soon.

Maybe they'll drive Brother out of the market. That would suit me just fine.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote