Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:57 AM   #1

Hi, I have a canon pixma ip4000 and was wanting to print to printable cd's using the supplied cd-labelprint software. Problem being that when i print onto the cd the black ink appears light blue. I have tried cleaning the print heads etc and deep clean but nothing seems to sort it. Strange thing is when i print photo's or text onto paper the black ink is fine.. Can anyone help?

Thanks
chris2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:57 PM   #2

I just got a used pixma ip4000 that also prints the light blue on CD's. It came with the BCI-3eBK, BCI-6Y, BCI-6M, and BCI-6C but was missing the BCI-6 photo black. It does print red and blue just fine. I read that cd print mode may only use the photo dye inks (the BCI-6 cartridges). I suspect I will need a photo black BCI-6 ink tank to fix the light blue printing
dwong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:06 AM   #3

Hi. CD printing is classed as OTHER THAN PLAIN PAPER printing. What that means is, the BCI3e Black cartridge is not used as it is a pigment ink. The printer will call on the BCi6 black instead as it is a dye based ink.

The message is: Pigment ink is ONLY for plain paper printing______ End of story.

As I manufacture inkjet ink I have to be aware of the shortcomings and try to educate the masses as to show some common sense You can use dye based ink in pigment ink cartridges as long as you flush out the residue pigment ink. You can't do it in reverse, the picolitres won't let you and you will clog every time.

Pigment ink has a nasty tendency to become thick over time when exposed to air so it has to be used reasonably quickly. Refilling is best done after the cartridge is flushed out and cleaned first. I have been refilling cartridges for over 7 years and I know what need to be done for continued success. And all with my own inks too.

My inks are equal to, or better than OEM inks and Im can now offer them in a condensed form to offset postage costs, which means bulk inks for much less.

Not satisfied? My other alias is "gravityink" (If I can work out my password for it)
inkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote