Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Aug 21, 2003, 9:32 PM   #1

Default Best low priced photo paper

Just wondering what everyone's opinion is for the best low to medium priced paper. so far I ve used NCR multi project, jet print photo multi project, and Kodak photo paper. The NCR was much duller then the others, and blacks were more washed out, almost dark green. The kodak and jet print performed very similar, but i believe the jet print colors were just a tad better, however, that paper is very thin. Any suggestions on other papers that are better (but not nessecerily the highest end and most expensive.) BTW picturers are taken on my minolta s414 and printed out on an hp 932c(kinda old but performs faily well).
aeroshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2003, 8:49 AM   #2

Default Best low priced photo paper

I've been using the Kodak "premium picture paper" on an old HP 895Cxi and I'm completely satisfied. It's got a nice weight and once the print has dried and put into a frame... hey, it works just perfect for the family and myself! I've read here (on Steve's and other sites) that Office Depot (or "OD" as it's sometimes referred to) is very good and I'm going to give it a try shortly before my Kodak supply runs out.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-7
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 8:33 PM   #3

If you like glossy paper and have a Canon dye-based bubble jet printer, OD Premium High Gloss Photo Paper is a great match-up, and I find it the way to go. IMHO it is equal to, or better than, Canon's PPP and is ~1/2 the price (even greater savings can be had when Office Depot has a sale, which is ususally two times per year).
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 8:43 PM   #4

Epson 4x6 premium glossy paper can be had in 100 packs for 15 bucks.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:15 PM   #5
djb

at atlex.com the epson premium glossy photo paper 4x6 in 100 sheets is $9.70. i've used them before and they were pretty good to me.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 9:14 PM   #6

Aeroshep1

I have an HP 930c that I used for over 2 years, now my backup printer. The best paper that I found for this printer was the Kodak Premium Picture Paper. I have not seen any fading with this setup. I felt that I was able to get better prints from this paper than with HP photo papers.

You can get a 75 count pack at Sam's Club for about $19.00. I think Costco has it too, but for a little more.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2003, 1:33 PM   #7

Default Re: Best low priced photo paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plg3
I've been using the Kodak "premium picture paper" on an old HP 895Cxi and I'm completely satisfied. It's got a nice weight and once the print has dried and put into a frame... hey, it works just perfect for the family and myself! I've read here (on Steve's and other sites) that Office Depot (or "OD" as it's sometimes referred to) is very good and I'm going to give it a try shortly before my Kodak supply runs out.
plg3,

I use an HP 970 and have usually used HP paper. Recently, however, I bought a couple of packs of the Office Depot paper, and wanted to report that the pictures printed on this paper with this printer faded quite severely in a matter of just a month or two when exposed to constant light (not sure how much better they'd fare in an album or dark environment).
FrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 3:41 AM   #8

I've been using several brands - Kodak, Canon, Epson, Color Brite.

Personally I've found the Epson to be the most consistent and for price the best. For about $20 you get 150 sheets of the premium glossy photo paper, 9 mil at COSTCO. SAMS CLUB here tends to sell only Kodak or Color Brite.

I've found the CANON Pro Photo paper to be very good (9.6 mil) but pricey at more than a dollar per sheet.

Kodak, I'm not particularly enthusiastic about. Their High Gloss Premium Picture paper is about 8 mil and takes quite a bit of time for ink to dry compared to the EPSON paper. Kodak prices are not the most expensive but they're rght up there.

One thing I did recently discover is that printing on Heavyweight Matte photo paper is actually quite attractive in many cases. I've been using the Canon Matte Photo paper 8.5 mil and really like it. At 50 sheets for about $13 it is a good deal.

I do wish that manufacturers would standardize the names for the various categories of paper. Super heavyweight in one brand is only pro weight in another etc. you get the drift.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 3:49 PM   #9

I have a canon i850 and use a variety of redriver papers including polar gloss ultrapro gloss and a few artistic matte papers. They work great. You can go to they're web site and order sample packs with 2 sheets each of all the different papers.
Rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 9:38 PM   #10

FrankM wrote: "I use an HP 970 and have usually used HP paper. Recently, however, I bought a couple of packs of the Office Depot paper, and wanted to report that the pictures printed on this paper with this printer faded quite severely in a matter of just a month or two when exposed to constant light (not sure how much better they'd fare in an album or dark environment)."

Frank -

Thanks for the advice. I'll tread lightly with the Office Depot paper and give it a "long break-in period".

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-7
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote