Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:04 AM   #1
WPS

IF YOU WANT TO TRY AND RESET THE CHIP ON THE CANONS THAT USE THE CLI CARTRIDGE, YOU ARE NOT GETTING ALL THE INFORMATION NEEDED. CANON USES MORE THAN ONE SENSOR FOR THE INK LEVELS AND MESSAGES. THEY WERE REPAIRING/ REPLACING MANY PRINTHEADS DUE TO RUNNING OUT OF INK. THE LEVELS ARE SET TO 1 AS A SAFETY FEATURE AND ARE FILLED TO A LEVEL OF 1.2.
WHEN THE FIRST SENSOR HITS A LOW INK LEVEL, THE CHIP GOES TO LEVEL 2. THE LAST LEVEL WHEN INK IS DEPLETED SHUTS DOWN THE MACHINE. IF YOU WANT TO USE A CISS OR REFILLS, YOU HAVE WORK AROUNDS BY THE FRONT PANEL TO DUE THE RESET. WHAT THE PATTERN IS I HAVE NO IDEA.

IF YOU GO TO THE U.S. PATENT AND TRADEMARKS OFFICE ON THE INTERNET AND LOOK UP THE PATENT (PAT. NUMBER 7,059,700) IT TELLS IN DETAIL EXACTLY HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS INCLUDING THE PANEL INTERFACE. IF SOMEONE WORKS AT IT, THEY MAYBE ABLE TO FIND THE PROCEDURE OR WORKAROUND.

I HAVE A MP830 AND USE A LOT OF INK AND NEED TO SAVE MONEYAS THEIR PRICES FOR INK CARTRIDGES ARE WAY OVERPRICED FOR SUCH A SMALL AMOUNT OF INK.

GOOD LUCK.

WPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2008, 7:57 PM   #2

It was said by industry pundits that "it would take the entire population of the worlds pc's 100 years to crack this chip code for it to be reset in order to refill the cartridge" We now have a re-setter which will reset all the CLI-8 series cartridges. The next step is to find a resetter that will reset the new type of Epson 9 pin type inkjet cartridges. I have no doubt that the industry will respond positively.

No one wants to pay a small fortune for inkjet cartridges which is why the refilling industry is going from strength to strength. It's environmentally friendly, creates jobs and offers alternatives. The printer manufacturers are continually developing lock out devices/chips to stop aftermarket refilling but they are wasting their time as human nature will always prevail and solutions to their tactics will always be found.
Ausjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:34 AM   #3

Ausjet wrote:
Quote:
It was said by industry pundits that "it would take the entire population of the worlds pc's 100 years to crack this chip code for it to be reset in order to refill the cartridge" We now have a re-setter which will reset all the CLI-8 series cartridges. The next step is to find a resetter that will reset the new type of Epson 9 pin type inkjet cartridges. I have no doubt that the industry will respond positively.
We do? I was under the impression that the resetters available only work in a somewhat limited way when used with printers that are 2nd generation (ie: iP4300, and up).

It did still take nearly 2 years though and in that time, how much money did Canon make? And how many resellers or 3rd party manufacturers gave up? I wouldn't exactly call it an insignificant effort on Canon's part, nor would I say it wasn't without rewards for them.

Look at what the cost of aftermarket cartridges is now for Canons... Nearly double in many cases and not much less than 75% of an OEM cart (based on what I've seen so far that is).

Quote:
No one wants to pay a small fortune for inkjet cartridges which is why the refilling industry is going from strength to strength. It's environmentally friendly, creates jobs and offers alternatives. The printer manufacturers are continually developing lock out devices/chips to stop aftermarket refilling but they are wasting their time as human nature will always prevail and solutions to their tactics will always be found.
Jobs? Oh come on... It's hardly an employment mainstay... If anything it's keeping people in developing countries busy with some refilling going on over here. The key thing is it's cheaper.

To be honest the whole "we will prevail" thing is not an unlimited thing... We were lucky that some people love a challenge and had the skills and patience to find ways round it but it did take 2 years and doubtless version 2 of the chip is on its way. Look at Epson with their new chips... Hardly anyone has those yet and the few that do exist, nobody's talking so the 3rd party chips are costing (same as the Canon's)... The market system we're in is all about making a profit and the 3rd party cart/ink teams are in it for that reason and that reason only... This is not about making it cheaper it's about the fact that Canon and all the other printers margins are so damned high that they can be undercut and a nice profit made without a huge amount of R&D.

Nature of the game really but I actually think Canon are a heck of a lot more honest about how they do things than Epson... At least they left the option to refill, left out the "expiration date" routine that HP have and haven't resorted to legal challenges to shut down competition (unlike Epson). Refillers and CIS users have a way to accept responsibility for their decision to use their own inks and about the only thing Canon really did wrong IMHO was to shutoff the ink detection system. But even then if they leave it on, how do they know that the "ink" used to refill isn't engine oil and therefore giving false readings to the prism device? They don't.

So, whilst it's all very noble n'all to scream about injustice and greed I happen to think of Canon as one of the best of the bunch, not a great bunch but please it's a company making a profit and people are buying... 101 economics time.. if they'll pay at price X, then companies will sell at price X.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 4:11 AM   #4

:idea:i know a website where you could get qualified chip resetter for Canom CLI-8 series cartridges.

http://www.inkmaxhk.com
bluecoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 2:30 AM   #5

On this website http://www.inkmaxhk.com/Canon_Resetter.aspx??, thereis detailed introduction about Canon CLI 8 series chip resetter. But the priter models the resetter can work with seems not to be many.
smallstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 5:29 PM   #6

A German chip resetter has just become available that seems to have had favourable reviews. It's simple to use and costs 23Euro.

I won't mention its name here but you can find it if you Google for 'german redsetter canon chips'.
pebe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:41 AM   #7

Hi folks

JUst come on to this site and have been reading about the Caonon CLI-8's and PGI-5

There is a way to over ride the chip in the printer. The method to do this is dependet on the printer model.

There are now re-settersreadyThere are now replacement chips.

But this has been a long battle like 2 years

So if you need more information then email me
Robertgemco is offline   Reply With Quote