Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Oct 9, 2003, 6:39 PM   #1

Default What is the truth about third party inks

Why do third party inks get such a bad rap? How hard can it be to formulate inks just as good as printer manufactures? Are all the horror stories really ture or is third party inks taking the blame when it was not there fault.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2003, 7:53 PM   #2

Over the years I have tried all sorts of ink alternatives.
Refill kits, 3rd party inks etc.

In my opinion, ALL of them are JUNK.

Last year I purchased a Canon S9000.

After seeing what Canon was charging for their inks,
I decided once again to try 3rd party ink.

After several different brands, I came to the
same conclusion. JUNK!!!!!!!

Some of these ink wound up clogging my ink jets.

In particular, I bought some Carrot ink.
I thought for sure this would be the answer, but it wasn't.

ALL of the inks I used weren't even close to the ouput
I get with Canon ink.

I guess it's the old "you get what you pay for".
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 10:57 PM   #3
cjm

Default 3rd party ink

I have been using Stratitec ink refills from Sam's Club since 12/02. I printed a color bar with Canon ink and Stratitec ink on Canon Photo Pro. I couldn't tell the difference then and I still cant. I have had no clogs or any other problems with my S9000 since I started using the ink. IMO, I don't think Canon makes ink, it just buys it from a supplier and resells it. As usual, YMMV. John
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 6:34 AM   #4

I use an HP 5550 and HP 3820 and refill my own cartridges with ink purchased at PrintPal.com. I gave up trying to refill the color cartridges on the 5550 because it was to difficult. I just purchased refill mail in pacis from PrintPal and let them do it for $16. The other cartridges I refill and the inks are very good. The present true color and the cost savings is excellent. I have ruined some of the 78 cartridges for the 3820 by overfilling so you have to be careful. I anticipate that I can reill a cartridge 4 times before I need to buy a new one.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 1:57 AM   #5

I've been using various types of 3rd party inks on my Epson. Their quality range from 'not bad at all' to excellent. And they do not necessarily be responsible for the clogging problem.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 11:10 AM   #6

they tend to give a slightly different color cast. Because the inks are not exactly the same.

And they do give some slight problems. However, when refilling for my Lexmark 7200 i found it to work really really good about 3-5 times. Then the printhead seemed to burn up. But since the printhead was replaced every time you bought a new cartridge that wasn't really a problem.

So it's not perfect, but if you know what you are doing it should be no problem to go around the problem.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 8:32 AM   #7

From my experience, Japan made 3rd party was very very close. Taiwan made needed some tweaks in the printer driver.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 10:29 PM   #8

I have an Epson 1280 on the way in a few days...so for those who have used 3rd Party inks in their Epson printers and are very pleased with the result, which inks did you use, and where did you buy them from?

Bart
BartY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 4:19 AM   #9

I've been using Print-Rite brand for 6 or 7 years now with NO problems. I have tried some of the cheaper alternatives, but never liked the color and/or clogging problems, so I went back to Print-Rite. My wife is the secretary at a police department, and they have been using Print-Rite for the last 5 years with no problems. They Use about a cartridge a week in each of the five Epson's that they have. Print-Rite is an ISO registered manufacturer. Most cheap Epson ink cartridges are made in China and resold under hundreds of different brand names. I get mine from ComputerGate. Here's a link to the ink page: http://www.computergate.com/products...cfm?prodseq=J4
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 8:55 AM   #10

Default Color Casting with 3rd Party Inks...

In an attempt to add another negative to the debate over ink choices, my experience is now brought me to only one conclusion: JUNK!

As a test to those of you who've thought that OEM inks are worth the time and effort in printing inferior photo's, try cranking out a Black/White photo with your new (in my case, non-canon) ink replacements. You'll see a world of difference in terms of color casting. You often won't see those same poor results in color prints. But, that settled the debate for me personallly. I'm sticking with the real deal when it comes to ink.

Tim
TimHusker is offline   Reply With Quote