Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Nov 22, 2003, 2:17 PM   #1

Default Alternative paper for Canon printers, suggestions?

I see that this topic has come up in various threads. I was hoping to start anew and see if there are any updates and more suggestions.

Steve had a thread going regarding papers to try but the site apprently isn't there or has been moved.

I'm looking at getting the i960 and colorfast is an issue for me. If I can find a better paper offering better longevity, I'd most certainly like to try it.

It would also be nice to be able to find both glossy/matte paper. What papers have you used and your opinions about them?
Are some papers thinner than others? I prefer a heavier stock, if possible.

Thanks for the input :!:
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2003, 7:05 PM   #2

Default I have used Ilford

I tried there matt paper and was very happy with it. When I run out of Epson paper I will buy more Ilford
Photojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2003, 10:27 PM   #3

Kate

I use redriver print paper. The web address is:

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/

You can order a sample set of paper.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 3:46 PM   #4

PJ,

Are you saying that you like the Canon Matte, Epson paper and Ilford?

If so, care to elaborate as to why you like these papers?

~Kate
Old Nov 23, 2003, 4:04 PM   #5

Phil,

I just checked out the redriver site and was suprised to see the various papers!
It will be fun to try them out and nice to see they offer sample packs.

When I first began looking into printers, it seems I recall everyone (not here, elsewhere) stating to only use papers that were strictly made for the printer. I thought that was very limiting. I'm glad that I came here.

Have you (or anyone reading this) tried any of the canvas (art) papers? If so, have you used the canvas for portraits & landscape photos and if so, the results being?

A few years down the road, I'm hoping to get into my own matting & framing of photographs & digital art work. What started off as a curiosity has become a serious hobby for me.

Thanks again for your dedication in helping others. It's nice to find helpful people on the internet. Without people like you on the internet (my best and sometimes only source of information), I'd still be left in the dark and thus, would be without a great hobby.

~Kate
Old Nov 24, 2003, 7:22 AM   #6

Hi,

I use Epson, Canon & Ilford papers with my Canon i850 and Epson 900 Photo.

The Canon pro glossy seems to be the best glossy for both printers, the Ilford is OK but is definetly more "grainy" than either the Canon or Epson glossy papers.

For silk/pearl the Ilford classic smooth pearl is excellent.

I'm coming over to Florida on Thursday and have ordered a couple of packs of the Red River 68lb ultra glossy to try.

Just out of cross-cultural interest, 68lb of what?, we use gsm (grams per square meter) for paper weight here in the UK and Europe so I'm keen to know how you measure in the USA
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:14 PM   #7

Default I dont use Canon paper

Dont own a canon printer so I couldnt tell you about their paper. I have use several of the ilford papers with my Epson printer and liked their matt paper. It was textured and thick.

www.onlinephotogallery.com
Photojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:13 PM   #8

Here's what I found on the Web for 'paper weight definition':
Quote:
The weight, measured in pounds, of 500 sheets (a ream) of paper cut to a standard size is its basis weight. The major paper grades such as bond or cover have their own standard (basic) sizes which determine the basis weight for that grade of paper regardless of the final size of the paper.
mikeeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 5:31 PM   #9

Default I like Epson's

Epson Premium Glossy and Epson Heavyweight Matte is what I use on my i960 printer.

I try to stick with something I can get locally and at a reasonable cost.

I have sample prints of a shot that i've taped to a window under direct sunlight for most of the day. For those samples I used Epson Premium Glossy, Canon Photo Pro, and Canon Photo Plus. Thus far (going on 3rd week) I see no fading on any of them. I'm thinking that the fading/color shifting that people see within a few weeks with Canon printers must be due to gas and not UV (but must also depend on the paper).

I just tried some Ilford paper that my dad got from Sam's club. Prints look good but color response is different and I do notice a little graininess to it (most likely the i960 is laying down too much ink too quickly).
muzzy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 12:05 AM   #10

Phaedra1106, Photojunky and muzzy996,

Thank you for the additional responses. It looks like I will have to run a few of my own tests. I'm interested in seeing the results.

Fade due to gasses? It seems I've read a post discussing this somewhat but was unable to get the gist of it. Gas, due to what? Nothing funny here, okay lol

I live within a rain forest, thus experience a high level of humidity. I'm curious as to what effect this will have on prints. Anyone here dealing with this?

Are there any papers that you completely dislike and think others should avoid?