Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Dec 3, 2003, 11:28 AM   #1

Default Canon i960 printer - is 3rd party ink OK?

I recently bought a Canon i960 printer. I noticed that there are many 3rd party sources for ink cartridges, which are considerably less expensive than the Canon cartridges for this printer.

Can you guys recommend (or not recommend) using 3rd party cartridges? Will the quality remain the same if I buy non-Canon compatible ink cartridges?

Thanks for any input... :
BlueOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:46 PM   #2

Stay with regional ink cartridges. I experienced 3rd party ink and damage my printer heads and don't use ink refills. They use cheaper dyes.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:50 PM   #3

I've had great results using the IMS refill kit available at Costco for only $17. You get 60ml of all six colors, and 180 ml of black. I have filled each tank at least 2 times and the prints look as good as the Canon ink. Never had to clean the print head, either.
maseace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:38 PM   #4

Default Re: Canon i960 printer - is 3rd party ink OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOrbit
I recently bought a Canon i960 printer. I noticed that there are many 3rd party sources for ink cartridges, which are considerably less expensive than the Canon cartridges for this printer.

Can you guys recommend (or not recommend) using 3rd party cartridges? Will the quality remain the same if I buy non-Canon compatible ink cartridges?

Thanks for any input... :
I've been using MIS inks on my i900d with Red River UltraPro Gloss and the results are simply stuning. NO problems with clogging and the price on the ink is pennies compared to original cartridges. Refilling is easy too.

I keep two sets of cartridges, one that is in the printer, and another set that are refilled in a box with the caps on them.

Pat
panamapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 7:26 PM   #5

I second that - I've been using the IMS refill kit for 2 years with Canon BJC 6000, i550, i560 and most recently IP-3000 printers - all with success. A little messy, but I figured I've saved over $200 in cartridge costs with the kit I got originally at Costco. I'm actually trying to find another one, because I've finally run out of black.
corsino99 is offline   Reply With Quote