Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Dec 13, 2003, 5:07 PM   #1

Default Photo's coming out too dark

I have been working with my new Epson C84 and the quality of the images that come out are very good. My problem is that they are very dark though. I have the ICC profiles setup and color rendition isn't perfect, but it is close enough. I also correctly profiled my monitor and all inputs match well from originals to screen. It's just getting it on paper.

I never had this much trouble with my Macintosh, so I am thinking I am missing something on my Windows machine.

I guess the question I have first off is the birghtness part of the ICC profile or does that just control color?

Any suggestion or help is appreciated.
Chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2003, 6:32 PM   #2

I had that problem with an HP printer and still have it with my Epson 1270 which also tends to be a little heavy on red. Knowing this, before I print, I brighten the photo and either desaturate the red a little or add cyan. It took a lot of test runs to see just how much brightening I had to do and how much red to eliminate, but once these tests were done, I was able to get far more consistent results. (Some day I might spring for the contraption and software for calibrating monitor and printer.)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 7:44 PM   #3

Thank you for the response. At least it isn't something I forgot.

I have gone through about 20 sheets of Kodak Premium Paper tonight trying to zero it in. I had to use the Kodak because that has been the paper I use for final prints I give out. Costly testing though.

I found all the printer settings and have added all the brightness I can and sucked out all the contrast. It is better. I also found that if I leave the paper choice on Plain instead of going to the Glossy Photo it doesn't lay down as much ink and seems to be a better image. I may also do as you suggested and create a Photoshop script for pre-print processing that lightens the picture as well.

I am also interested in trying the DuraBright Paper with these DuraBright inks. Maybe that will be a better match.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 14, 2003, 7:26 PM   #4

Chael

I have the C82 as my daily printer. This is the previous version of the C84. I found out from the one printer guy at CompUSA that Kodak papers and Epson inks have trouble working together. The Kodak papers are more acidic than others. I was getting pink clouds, instead of white. He was the same guy that helped me with the printer the day before.

For my printer, I get the best prints on the Enhanced Matte paper. The matte images look great for me, very close to my I9100. For glossy and the C82, the Epson Premium Glossy and the Pictorico papers have been good. I would baseline the printer with an Epson paper first, then try and get the paper that you want to use to work with it.

On my Canon I9100, Kodak papers puddled the inks, bad skin tones, inks wouldn't dry, and just horrible prints.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 7:47 PM   #5

Thanks Bill. I'll go out and get a few different types of paper to see what kind of results each gives.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 8:49 AM   #6

I forgot about that. I've also had problems with Kodak paper on my Epson 1270, mostly having to do with that magenta problem. To compensate for it, I have to turn my photos literally green to get them to print out properly.

The standard advice is to use paper from the manufacturer of your printer. It's what's most likely to give the best results, and it seems to be true. However, you can get good results from other paper brands, but it can require some tinkering. All of this is because the printer manufacturer designs its paper to work chemically with its ink formulas.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote