Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old May 10, 2004, 11:37 PM   #11

UPDATE:

The IMS ink is showing some differences vs. Canon ink now that I have compared it with my first printouts of Canon original ink. Everything is shifted towards magenta and some fine detail is lost. This is a single scan of two printed photos comparing the IMS to Canon ink. These were printed on Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy with the vivid photo option.
Attached Images

maseace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 1:56 AM   #12

I have just noticed that most of the prints I have made within the past month and a half with IMS ink in my Canon i960 have become mottled - especially with flesh tones and reds. There is a complete loss of detail. I have heretofore had great success using the Canon Photo Magenta and Photo Cyan but using IMS replacement ink for the othe cartridges.

I don't know whether I just had a bad batch of replacement ink - it sat in the sun too long or what. I am annoyed that my cost-effective method of printing seems to have gone down the tube and I will have no alternative but to buy the expensive off the shelf ink.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 8:25 AM   #13

I print primarily black and White photos I just picked up an HP8150 and I am using the hp100 gray cartridges. after running through several cartridges on a long print job i got the idea to "refill" these using the black ink in all 3 ink wells and then adjusting density and brightnesssaturation in orderto achieve acceptable high contrast prints. I'm pleased with the results so far and have made some quite striking prints. As for the color cartridges I have used the inks on aHP PSC750 With acceptable results. I did have a problem with leakage in a black 45 cartridge but I suspect this to be my fault in not having achieved proper vacuum seal.As to the post about abpout voiding warrantiesetc. This is NOT true unless your printer comes with free ink you cannot void thewarranty of your printer byrefilling. However havingsaid that you can be expected to PAY for any repairs as a result of leaky ormisinstalled cartridges.

Jim Z
Jim Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 8:26 PM   #14

This speaks volumes, Maseace. Thank you for posting these. I was getting very tempted to try refilling my i960 with generics-- even though I totally ruined my Epson C80 using generic ink. --Scott
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 1:17 AM   #15

I've been ready neilslade's page - http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html and I think part of the problem may be the paper you are using as neil comments that the inks give better results on non-canon paper . In neil's case he's been very successfully using (non-premium) Epson Photo Gloss Paper. Maybe it's worth trying that - if you do get back with any results. Just to ask an obvious question but have you tried correcting it with tweaking colour settings and then paper type given inks react differently?
Diasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 8:46 PM   #16

I purchased the same IMS kit at Costco last week. I have a new Canon i960 that prints beautiful prints. I called IMS to be sure their inks were ok for the i960. They assured me they would work. :G

A few days later I found it was time to replace the PM tank. I refilled it with IMS and after a few 8x10's the new ink found its way to the paper. All flesh tones are "sunburned" to beat the band. No way I can use this ink. Very disappointed.:shock: I should have ordered some other brand that is used successfully by i960 users. I thought it might be worth a try since I wouldn't have to wait for shipping. Anyway Costco has a 100% policy under customer satisfaction. We shall c about that too.

wbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 2:06 PM   #17

I found that I can get decent color rendition with IMS ink on Canon paper by adjusting the color settings in the printer options to something like +10 yellow and -10 magenta, but unfortunately, Canon's Easy Photo Print software does not allow access to printer settings! Come on, Canon! So I can get good color, but not borderless prints.
maseace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:53 PM   #18

:?

You all seem to be refilling your cartridges without a hitch. Maybe someone can be of assistance.

I have a Canon i560, and following the instructions I;

Cover the exit hole,

Drill to create a fill hole,

Insert the needle and fill.

Then place the small black plug firmly in fill hole.

I cannot get the plug to fit tight enough to be airtight. It looks like the provided drill is slightly larger than the provided plugs.

The only way I can get the plug to be airtight is to cover it with a blob of household Goop sealant – not first prize.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Bushman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:30 PM   #19

Any ink that says it will work in multiple major brands of printers isn't likely to work very well. Not only the color, but also the viscosity varies between brands. Canon reformulated their inks a couple of years ago and went from dead last to best in ink cost by using much stronger dyes. You can't interchange the ink between older and newer Canon printers. Different HP printer series used different ink. The ink was completely different between my 800 and 900 series HPs. It is certainly different between major brands that all have their own formulations. Ink not specifically designed for you printer is going less than ideal.

For Canon the only two I really trust to give me ink specifically formulated for my printer is MIS and Inkjetgoodies. Inkgrabber evidently tries with specifically formulated inks but I didn't much like the results in the limited tests I've seen. Not anything near as bad as masease's results, but the Inkgrabber inks just weren't as saturated.

I've been refilling for at least 10 years with good results. I've gone through 3 pints of pigmented black for a savings of over a thousand bucks. Color was a little tricky with my HPs as John G pointed out. I found that the ink could contaminate the adjacent colors before you could dab if you really overfilled them. So I sampled the ink with a syringe and stopped about 1/8 inch short of the top. The Canon cartridges are quite easy to fill, and the ink measuring system resets itself because it is actually measuring the ink.

I use mostly Red River Paper, but the Inkjetgoodies ink works well on Canon Photo Paper Pro with no real color shift.

Bushman2 If you can get whatever you are using to seal the hole back off OK for another refill it is probably better than the balls. An Aussie who posts here sometimes recommended some blue stuff that is regularly available there. I found out it is about the same stuff as Super Glue"s Handy-Tack. It is a sticky putty-like stuff that never dries. Works great and is easy to remove to refill. Just drill in a plain single layer space on the back edge (opposite the sponge access).

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:11 PM   #20

Bushman2,

I'm a rooky who has just started to refill. If I looked it up correctly you use a BCI-6 cartridge/tank? On my BCI-6 tanks I don't drill any holes...do pushsyringe needle though plastic film at just the right spot on the sponge side. I knock out the plastic ball on the ink side (as per MIS ink instructions) and after filling with ink I replace this with a small rubber ball ($.12 each). It seals most of the time. I know some like the plugs that are also available to replace the plastic ball but I'm going to stick with the balls for a while. I guess I'm just wondering why you have to drill hole or are you using generic empty tanks that aren't like the original Canons? Just wondering.

osculate is offline   Reply With Quote