Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jan 9, 2004, 11:25 PM   #1

Default Anyone use IMS Ink Refill System?

Anyone have any experience with IMS Ink Refill Systems.

I picked up a 6 color refill kit for about $19.00 a few weeks ago.

I am planning on trying it with my Canon S9000 printer.

Just wondering if it is any good or just a complete waste of time.

Thanks
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:40 AM   #2

IMS?

dont you mean MIS?
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:28 PM   #3

Default IMS

I have a Canon I9100 and I was disapointed with the IMS color refill. I also have an HP psc 2210 and the results were great < 2 thumbs up>.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:11 PM   #4

Inks from http://www.inkjetgoodies.com are excellent, been using them for a year now.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 8:12 PM   #5

I finally got around to trying out the IMS (Not MIS) ink refills on my Canon S9000.

I was very impressed!!!

I made several test prints with original Canon ink, then I made them over again with the IMS ink.

The prints were fairly similar, but the IMS ink was a little on the red side.

After a little tweaking with the magenta color balance before printing, I was able to make prints that looked extremely close to the Canon ink.

Considering that this entire kit was around $20.00 at Costco, it was a great deal!!!!

It came with 5 bottles of all the colors, magenta, photo magenta,
cyan, photo cyan and yellow and 3 bottles of black.

It looks like there is enough ink to refill the cartridges at least 8 or more times.

Now the big question is how will these inks will hold up over the test of time.

I will be making more prints with both the IMS and the Canon inks and see how they compare after several months.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:46 AM   #6

Gentlemen! It has been said before and I will repeat it again. Don't use third party inks in your printers. You may be disappointed with the results and, more important, you may damage the printer. Some printer manufacturers will not honor the warranty if they find that ink cartridges have been refilled or third party cartridges have been used.

The ink cartridges made for your printer contain ink that is specifically formulated for the print head and paper. Sure, you can get cheaper inks and they may seem to work ok but ultimately, you are going to pay the price. Don't do it!
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 9:43 PM   #7

Since HP print heads are disposable there is no harm in using ink refill systems for everyday printing. The only problem is overfilling which causes cross contamintion either at the top of the cartridge or at the heads. After I refill the cartridge I place the print head lightly on a dry paper towel for a split second repeating it until I see all the colors and to stabilize the pressure within the cartridge. It is very important not to rub the print heads. Sometimes the printer does not recognize the refilled cartridge and that is the result of the contacts on the back of the cartridge is dirty or greasy from handling. In that case I lightly rub the contacts with an appropriate electrical cleaner.
HP print heads are made to last the life of the cartridge so they can only be refilled so many times before they " poop out ".
For this particular type of cartridge the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act does apply to the printer.
For top quality photos I simply take out the 3rd party ink and pop in my HP inks.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 10:12 PM   #8

Over the past few days, I have gone through 2 complete refills with the IMS ink.

It is printing great, no clogs.

I know it's not a great idea to use 3rd party ink on a Canon printer, but if I can get a few more refills from this IMS ink, the money saved would cover the price of a new printhead.

Each Canon tank goes for around $12.00 each

Being that I refilled all 6 tanks twice, that would have cost me $144.00 if I used Canon ink.

This refill kit cost me $17.00, so las I said, in a short amount of time I will have saved enough in ink costs to cover the cost of a new printhead in the event something does go wrong.

I have tried many re-inking kits in the past with my Epson printer and ALL of them were junk. They clogged and did not even come close to matching the OEM ink.

This IMS ink kit is the first one that has really worked great for me.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:44 PM   #9

I have been using the IMS ink refill kit on my Canon i960 photo printer with excellent results. I cannot tell the IMS ink from the Canon ink for glossy photos or plain paper text. I have refilled all cartridges at least 2 times, 5 times for the photo magenta and photo cyan. Never had to clean the print head with the software, only had to realign heads once. Looks like I will be able to fill each cartridge about 10 times per bottle (6 ml per fill), so that's 6 tanks x 10 fills x $12 = $720 - $17 refill kit = over $700 saved!!!
maseace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 7:36 PM   #10

I have been using the IMS ink on and off over the past several months with good results on my Canon S9000.

No clogs at all!!!

The only problem I have with this ink is that the pictures I print with it have a more of a reddish cast to them than the Canon ink.

I found that by cutting down on the magenta (-35) on my printer options I can get rid of most of the red cast.

In fact I have been switching back between Canon and the IMS with no problems.

I had some old cartridges that I thought were dried out.
I filled them up with the IMS ink and they worked fine, no clogs.

You can't beat this ink for the price!!!!