Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jan 22, 2004, 2:06 PM   #1

Default Fading issues with Red River papers on newer Canon's

I'm considering buying the sample pack of Red River Paper, but I wanted to know if anyone has had any quick fading issues or, for that matter, any other issues. I have a Canon i9100 of which I only use OEM BCI-6 inks either purchased from databazaar.com or from Staples/Best Buy.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2004, 2:33 PM   #2

I have been using the 68lb Ultra Gloss for over a year and all my photos look like new. I use a HP5550 for many of prints. None of the pictures hang in direct sun light but are exposed to indirect sunlight from the window in my office.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 5:59 PM   #3

Dcrawley

I also have the I9100 and use OEM inks. I have tried the Red River papers, and they do make some nice prints. I have also tried the Pictorico papers, and I get the best prints from the Photo Gallery Glossy paper, much better than the Canon Pro paper. I did a fade test with the Red River Ultra Gloss, Pictorico, and Canon Pro. Each image faded over a two month time, and no noticeable fade was noticed at one month. The Pictorico Gallery Glossy faded just a bit. The Red River paper was the worst one.

Each of the prints were exposed to direct sun and air. So, they could have gas faded too. If behind glass, I don't know if they will fade that bad. I have been using the Pictorico papers, as I get the best prints with their papers.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 4:20 PM   #4

Default Red River Papers going on two years and no fade

I have prints made with Red Rivers Ultra Pro Glossy (68lb) and the Polar Gloss (66lb) that have not faded in almost two years. Note that these are stored in albums behind acid free plastic sleeves to help protect them against gas fading, which is the main cause of short fade in inkjet photos, or mounted behind glass. The polar gloss is suppose to have improved light and gas fastness over the Ultra Pro Glossy but if you look at Red Rivers own data on print fading, both last about 5 years.

These photos of mine were done on a Canon S900 which is an earlier printer to the new I950/I960 series but all three printers use the same inks (BCI-6 inks).

Although there has been some concerns expressed about the new Kodak Ultima paper (Colorlast Techonology) and Canon printers, I have been getting excellent results with this paper (as good as the Red River Ultra Pro Glossy) but you have to allow it to dry for 24 hours first before handling it. I did not like the earlier Kodak papers with the Canon (espically how they did skin tones). This new paper is suppose to have 100 year fade resitants and one of the printers Kodak used to do that test was a Canon I950 with the BCI-6 inks.

I would suspect that it will not be to long before we see papers from other companies (like Red River) that will also have long term fade properties when used with dye base inks.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:47 PM   #5

Default Re: Fading issues with Red River papers on newer Canon's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrawley
I'm considering buying the sample pack of Red River Paper, but I wanted to know if anyone has had any quick fading issues or, for that matter, any other issues. I have a Canon i9100 of which I only use OEM BCI-6 inks either purchased from databazaar.com or from Staples/Best Buy.
I finally bought some Red River paper for my i900d a few months back and I must say that it blows away the other papers i had tried including Epson Premium Glossy, Epson Glossy, Ilford Heavy Weight Glossy, Kodak Picture Paper, Canon Photo Paper Plus and Canon Photo Paper Pro.

While I have not tried all of the paper they supplied in the sample pack, I have been using the Ultra Pro Gloss and it is superb.

I'm using refill inks too (MIS).

Pat
panamapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 7:15 PM   #6

Pat(and all others),

I'm very interested in you results with Red River Paper and 3rd party or OEM inks including MIS inks. I'm using a Canon i91000. I‘ve been fooling around with Red River Matt the last few days with frustrating results. I'll try the glossy product this weekend.

I'm interested in some reconditions on Red River papers and IMS or other 3rd party or OEM inks to work with my Canon i9100.

Can you, or anyone, tell me the following:

1) How is the MIS ink holding up!

2) Is the MIS ink completely identical in quality and color with the Canon ink?

3) Did you have to make any adjustments in the Color Profiles when you starting using IMS ink?

4) Is there any other 3rd party or OEM inks that work as well or better than the Canon ink?

5) Can you recommend a good Matt paper?

Thanks in advance to all the post?

Brian
Brian_in_SF is offline   Reply With Quote