Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Feb 11, 2004, 2:11 PM   #1

Default need input on art show submission paper

First off, I'm an amateur photographer and artist with a very limited budget. My camera is a Canon A70 and my printer is an Epson 785EPX. There's a local art show that'll be in my area and I'd like to participate.

My question is what kind of paper should I use? My 785EPX will give 2880dpi on glossy paper, but only 1440dpi on matte paper. My art show entries will be matted and framed, and hopefully sell a couple. So lightfastness is something my prints would need, but I read that glossy papers are best for framing.

Or another option is to use the Xerox DocuColor12 laser printer/copier that's at work instead of my Epson.

Thank you.
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2004, 2:52 PM   #2

You could give the new kodak ultra papers a try, they only seem to come in high gloss and semi gloss finishes but are supposed to be very good for long print life. (or so it is claimed by kodak )
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 4:20 PM   #3

Thank you for the suggestion. I would never have considered Kodak paper. Today I was printing on Epson PremiereArt Matte Scrapbook Photo Paper, but I wasnt satisfied with the 1440dpi output.

On a different subject...how do laser prints differ from inkjet as far as lightfastness and quality goes?
Old Feb 11, 2004, 6:41 PM   #4

Depends on what you mean by a laser printer

Shop laser printers like the cymbolic science or even the noritsu used by costco are writing on Fuji Cristal Archive photo paper.
This is a real chemical color photo paper with a very long life for chemical prints of over 60 years. Most color chemical prints have a life of less than 28 years. (note I keep saying color, B&W prints done right can last in the hundreds of years)

If you mean the laser photocopiers, it depends on the paper and toner but some can last over 50 years.

Inkjets vary by the dye and paper used, most are under 28 years,
the new Kodak Ultima paper claims it can make any current dye based inkjet print last 100years.
If this claim is really true I think it will make a serious dent in the sale of expensive pigment printers.
Only trouble with it, is it only seems to come in 4*6 and 8.5*11 size packages, and I print mostly superB(13*19).

Inkjets using pigments like the epson 2000 and 2200 again on the right paper will last 60-90 years.

Note these dates are old, they are moving taregts as new technologies are introduced or problems are discovered.

Sorry got long-winded again.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:07 PM   #5

Well I bought a small pack of 8.5x11 Kodak Ultima paper. The quality is as good as the Epson paper, but the colors are very innacurate, the contrast is much too high it seems. If I cant improve the colors with some Epson driver and Photoshop tweaking, I'll just stick with my Epson Matte.

Or...the laser printing sounds very tempting. I'm sure it'd be higher quality than my printer, and be on glossy paper. The machine at our Staples store is a Xerox DocuColor12, if that means anything...it's a copier with printing and scanning capabilities, and the paper used is Xerox SuperGloss. I was planning on using it for printing 11x17 of my current CG work anyway.

Thanks again for the suggestions and information. ^_^
Old Feb 13, 2004, 9:06 AM   #6

With the paper you usually need the ICC profile for it to get the colors accurate. Did the package say anything about where to get them?

With our local Staples they won't reproduce pictures unless you can prove you are the image owner. My wife tried to get some coppies of one of my images that I had signed and they refused to copy it for her. Unexpected, but sort of a good thing.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:41 AM   #7

I've been dooing some poking around and it dosen't look like there are any ICC profiles available for this paper yet. So for now it is a roll your own experimental thing.