Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Feb 18, 2004, 9:25 PM   #11

I made a print on the HP 2210 ...Excellent !
I spoke with a Kodak rep. and happy to report that large format papers are in the works.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:09 PM   #12

Going to have to try and test the new paper by printing 2 images. Storring one away in the dark and putting one in a south facing window. Then comparing them every few few months.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:19 AM   #13

a tip: Print one, cut it in half, store one half in a zip lock bag and punish the other one.

Ozone is quite aggressive on ink jet printout...
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:28 AM   #14

Yes, very true!
As epsons previous attempt at longer lasting rappidly orange turning dye based prints discovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCohen
Ozone is quite aggressive on ink jet printout...
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:21 PM   #15

What are your thoughts on HP premium gloss photos paper. I've been trying so many photos papers and searching for the best for my photos.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:00 AM   #16

Default Have used this new paper with Canon S900

I have now printed about thirty sheets with this new Kodak paper and my Canon S900 printer. Prior to this new version, I was not a real fan of the Ultima Paper with the Canon because I did not like how it did skin tones. They have corrected that problem with this new paper, the skin tones are very good (IMO). For Canon users, I have been doing the following:

Paper type: Photo Paper Pro
Custom: Fine (#1 setting)
Photo Optimized through page

I also e-mailed Kodak asking if these results could be achieved with dye inks (Canon 6 series) or did these results only come from pigment inks. There response was that these results could be achived with the 'lastest inks from each manuf.' and that they did test both Canon and Epson inks. I spoke with the canon rep who was in my local best buy on Saturday and he indicated that the current Canon 6 series inks are the latest ink formula. I agree with the poster that theis paper is not as glossy as previous papers (espically Canon Photo Paper Pro or the RedRiver papers). The question now is the longievity claim. Kodak to their credit had this verifed by two other indpendent labs so I Figure that even if they are only 50% right, that is still 50 years of fade.

I also think the prior posters suggestion to cure the photo in a zip lock bag is excellent. Even if you are not going to do the 'bag' thing, I would do this for 24 hours before mounting or placing in an album. It may be that we are finally getting decent longentivity from Ink-Jet prints without the need of pigiment inks and their bronzing issues.

BTY: Sam' Clubs seel this new paper in a 75 sheet pack (8.5x11) for $24.77. As far as I can tell, that is the best price in town.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 5:56 PM   #17

After reading these posts abut the new Kodak Ultima paper I decided to give it a try.

I had used Kodak paper a few years back with my Epson printers and the resutls were very bad!!!

Today I picked up a pack of this new paper to try on my Canon S9000
printer.

The resutls were horrible!!!!!!

I even tried different settings, glossy paper, photo paper pro etc. etc.

The prints I got were the worst I ever made on my Canon S9000.

I printed a test target which I had also printed on Canon and Epson paper.

The test target on the Kodak paper stands out like a sore thumb!!!

There are weird patterens in the skin tones and everything looks
very grainy.

Even if it does last 100 years it's of no value to me beccause
I would never want to look at these prints. They are that bad!!!!

In my opinion, Kodak has a LONG way to go to catch up to the competition. Yes, it is that BAD!!!!!!!!
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:26 PM   #18

Sorry to hear your results from the printer you are using.
Oh my how can I get such <<<GREAT>>> results on my i9100 & HP and yet you are on the<<< OPPOSITE>>> end of the spectrum!!!!!!!!

In the Forum " Photo Ink Jet " The Author was Joe, under the Topic,
" Help with the s9000 ", on Jan. 26, 2004 you replied to Joe that prints were coming out of your s9000 with horizontal lines, and your conclusion was " Wound up being a bad batch of paper "

Under your Topic " Anyone use IMS Ink Refill System ? "
It appears that as of Feb. 15, 2004, IMS is the only ink you use for the s9000.
Kodak was testing with manufacture printer inks. They make no claim to any 3rd party inks.
Interesting indeed !!!!!!!!

As a reminder, the front of the package has to state, Ultima Picture Paper and below that IT HAS TO SAY " New COLORLAST Technology ". Those who want to try it don't make the mistake and pick up the other Ultima Picture Paper that might be still on the shelves.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:18 AM   #19

Default GO to the Canon Website and get the paper settings

My S900 is the baby brother of the S9000 and I am having no trouble at all with this new paper. However, I would recommend that you go to Canon's site and use their settings rather than Kodaks settings (don't use the 'Plain Paper') setting may give you the banding. I had trouble with this with the early Ultima papers using that setup. I switched to Photo Paper Pro setting (Canon recommended). The settings I am using are:

Photo Paper Pro
Print Quality: Custom Setting '1' (Fine)
Color Adjustment: Auto
In the Effects Tab: Image Optimzer is checked
Photo Optimzer is checked
Apply through out page is checked

I am using Canon Inks only.

Hope that helps. I can not tell the difference between these and photos done on RedRivers Ultra Pro Glossy (execpt that the RedRiver paper has more glossy finish). You need to allow the Kodak to dry for 24 hours. If you view it right after you print it you will see certain print lines around high contrast areas of the image. These will disappear after you have let the print fully dry.

P.S. I also was not a fan of the old Kodak papers with the Canon S900 printer, but this new one seems to work very well, at least in my printer. Hope those setting suggestions help out.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 3:52 PM   #20

In the Forum " Photo Ink Jet " The Author was Joe, under the Topic,
" Help with the s9000 ", on Jan. 26, 2004 you replied to Joe that prints were coming out of your s9000 with horizontal lines, and your conclusion was " Wound up being a bad batch of paper "

Hi John,

Yes, it was a bad batch of paper.
It had nothing to do with the printer whatsoever!!

As far as the 3rd party ink are concerned I tried it with both,
3rd party and Canon with the SAME results.

But you hit the nail on the head with the following comment:

As a reminder, the front of the package has to state, Ultima Picture Paper and below that IT HAS TO SAY " New COLORLAST Technology ". Those who want to try it don't make the mistake and pick up the other Ultima Picture Paper that might be still on the shelves.

The paper I bought is Kodak Ultima Picture Paper Cat 811 0579.
No mention of COLORLAST on the front cover.

Thanks for pointing that out.

If you go to the Kodak website it shows the paper I purchased under the Color Last heading.

This packaging is VERY misleading.
I think Kodak did this to confuse people so they could get rid of
their old stock.

I will now look for a pack of the right paper, give it a try and let you
know how it goes.

Again, thanks for pointing out about the packaging.

John
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote