Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Mar 16, 2004, 2:00 AM   #31

YES, there is only one choice for long lasting print's and thats KODAK.
KODAK ..RULES !
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 5:51 PM   #32

Default Excellent paper but you must>>>>>>

I have now run about 100 sheets of this new paper and the results are very very good (Canon S900). However, regardless of what printer you are using, you must allow the Kodak paper to dry at least 24 hours (I often leave for 48 hours) before inserting in album sleves. I have had images transfer off the paper to the sleeve (and these are archive quality, acid free sheets) using the older Kodak Premium and Ultima papers. In the last case I know I only allowed the print to dry about 8-9 hours before inserting. Not sure on this new paper but it is better to be safe here. Allow the extra drying time and this will not be a problem.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:08 PM   #33

Supposedly Kodak has tested against light, temperature, ozone, and one other factor with this new version of the Ultima paper. So tonight I printed photo out on this new paper and scanned it.

I have hung it on my refrigerator without any protection (my kitchen catches most of the days sun, but the front of my refrigerator does not get direct sunlight). Over the next week or so, I plan to rescan it on the same settings to show if there is any differences. I had hung a print in the same place on Canon's best paper and it faded significantly over the course of two weeks (I am guessing because of ozone).

I'll let you know what happens.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 5:42 PM   #34

I am never sure what to believe about print longevity – I think Epson have managed to crack the problem with the R800 but at a hefty price for ink.

I also thought that Kodak had cracked the problem with their new Ultima paper and then I read the article in the link below. Henry Wilhelm (he is an independent tester of the archival quality of papers and inks) explains that the results Kodak claims depend on less than realistic test methods. If you applied the Kodak test method to an Epson Pro 4000 print on fine art paper, then it would last for over 1000 years that’s right over one thousand years.

Read the article here

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/Apr04/Wilhelm.htm
costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 5:55 PM   #35

Default I am not sure what Wihelm is saying based on this article

I think we will have to wait for further indpendent testing before we can say how the new Ultima paper will work from a print life standpoint. I could find nothing on Wihelem site where he has tested this new paper (although I am going to go back and look more). What I got from it was that he (and Vincent Oliver) did not like how Kodak tested, that they basied the test towards the paper, in their view. Neither Henry Wihelm nor Vincent Oliver seem to offer any other testing results that would show the Kodak's results are inaccurate. So I don't know what we are suppose to make of this just yet. I do find it interesting that these 'revelations' were made at an event sponsered by Epson, considering that they are the only makers of pigment based printers for consumers (2200, R800, and C64) at the present time.

I can say this so far. I have run about 100+ sheets of this new paper through my Canon printer. The results are far superior to their eailer papers. Skin tones are much better and I have found the colors to be well balanced (just don't use the Kodak recommended settings, Canon has settings for this paper and they work very well). The print life issue has yet to be settled. If I am to take Henry Wihelm at his word that Kodak really did baisis the test by a factor of 4, then this paper should last 25 years or so, which is not very bad at all for an inkjet print. How long it will really last will be determine by more testing.

Hopefully we will see other compaines like Red River introduce some longer lasting papers for dye-based inkjet prints in the near future. I truly believe that the solution lies in papers and not necessarly in inks, which are about as state-of-the-art as they can get at the present time.

WJL100
Old Apr 6, 2004, 6:04 PM   #36

ok... so how IS the new paper???? I've got the Canon I9100 and was totally disappointed with the older kodak ultima paper (that's putting it mildly!) I seen some the of the new stuff this last weeknd but just couldn't work up the courage to buy any...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 8:07 PM   #37

To be honest, I like the new paper. I have only used the Satin, not the high gloss. With the i9100, all you have to do is set the paper type to Glossy Photo Paper when you use Easy Photo Print. You do need to let it sit and dry for about 24 hours though. I made a print and scanned it and have had it hanging in a pretty bright area uncovered in my kitchen for the last 3 weeks. There has been no corrections to the scans and both scans were done on the same settings. Here is how it has faired.

Immediate after print:

Unprotected after 3 weeks

Old Apr 6, 2004, 8:18 PM   #38

Thanks, Damon! I actually had the Satin in my cart until i chickened out! I'm going to pick some up and give it a try...

thanks again...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 3:37 PM   #39

Default I have been using these settings, paper work fine

Mr_Saginaw: I use the S900 and use these setting with the ultima paper. It is working fine with these (but not with the settings Kodak supplies with the paper).

Photo Paper Pro
Print Quality = Custom (Set then to fine #1)
Color Adjustment = Auto
In the effect tab:
Image Optizmer is checked
Photo Optizmer is checked
Apply throughout page is checked.

It works very well for me with those settings. I am using Canon OME ink (BCI-6 inks).

Hope that helps.

Note: I am using the High Gloss Ultima so you may need to tweak the above a little for the Satin. Let us know how it works.

WJL100
Old Apr 7, 2004, 4:00 PM   #40

WJL100:

The S900 has to be tweaked as you decribed. But according to Kodak, the i9100 that myself and Mr_Saginaw have requires none of the extra setting changes for the new formulation of Ultima (UPP-4-A) and Premium Picture Paper (PPP-4-A). The only setting we have to make is to set the paper type to Glossy Photo Paper and accept all other defaults the come with that selection.

Now for the older varities (UPP-3-A and PPP-3-A), we would have to make the following changes:

Print Quality: Custom> Quality=1, Diffusion. Color Adjustment: Manual>Magenta-8, Yellow +6, Intensity +5, Print Type+ Photo, Brightness= Normal. Effects: Image Optimizer, Photo Optimizer PRO , Apply Throughout Page, Photo Noise Reduction.