Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old May 21, 2004, 3:40 PM   #41

dcrawley,

Any update on your refridgerator test with the Kodak paper?

Thanks,

Dennis
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 8:42 AM   #42

Sorry I haven't responded before now, but I have been on vacation in San Antonio this last week. The horror of not having any internet access for a week.

OK. It has been almost 2 months since I made my posts of an image printed on the new Ultima paper just after printing and 3 weeks later. Here is an update:

At 3 weeks:

After printing:

Damon

dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 12:00 PM   #43

Regarding Kodak Ultima's100 yr. life claim - it has not been validated by any reputable independent source that I could find on the internet. The latest edition of Consumer Reports had a little call-out box article on the new Ultima - their opinion (and I know many like to shoot them down) is that the photo quality is good but they are dubious of the 100 year longevity claim.

I'm no expert in this, but my thinking is that longevity is a combination of factors, especially the ink (current dye-basedformulations, though improvedinrecent years,aren't optimal for real long life) and how it interacts with various papers and their formulations. Then you have the wild card enviromental factors. If you've digitized and carefully archived your important pics, that's your best longevity bet. If really long life is critical to you for prints, today's best bet seems to beto go with a printer that uses pigment-based inks, choose aquality paper, and be sensitivetoenvironmental factors.

FWIW - using myi960 I've obtainedpleasant results with the Kodak Ultima, and with limited experience, I was not unhappy with the Canon paper that came with the printer. Someday I'll try the Red River stuff.Kodak Ultima paper is available inexpensively at wholesale locations - such as Sam's Clubs, and so the cost/valueratio makes it appealing for me.

Of course, YMMV

-Doug-
KCDoug is offline   Reply With Quote