Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:57 AM   #1

Default Kodak's Reformulated " ULTIMA PICTURE PAPER "

Is Kodak now # 1 ?
The Eastman Kodak Company has incorporated proprietary ceramic nano-particle technology
( 1 nano meter is 1/1000's of a micron which is 50,000 times smaller than the human hair ) , in their " ULIMA PICTURE PAPER " compromised of 9 layers that will keep photos over 100 years and works on all inkjet printers !
The layers consist of starting from the top 1. Protective overcoat, 2. Humectant management layer, 3.Ink absorbing layer 4. Pigmented resin barrier, 5. Kodak royal paper, 6. Clear resin barrier, 7. Antistatic layer, 8. Anti curl layer, 9 Ink resistant overcoat.
Having this combination they claim addresses all issues of light, heat, humidity and air quality.
In essence Kodak has managed to work on the molecular level to ( stabilize) dramatically slow down the movement of atoms in the ink once it is absorbed in the paper. With other types of paper, heat as an example causes the ink molecules to collide/cancel out each other with the final outcome, a faded picture.
On the front of the package it say's " New COLORLAST Technology " and below that it states " Billiant Color Photos That Last Over 100 Years ".
On Kodaks website they have a 508kb PDF file that explains in detail the paper and their testing procedures.
Kodak being such a LARGE company no one would dare question their claim..yes ?
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2004, 7:42 PM   #2

Your not suggesting a corporation would say something about their product that was not completly true were you?
I read some of that and it sure makes sense to me. But last year at this time I still believed in the Easter Bunny and WMD's too.
tim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 8:33 PM   #3

I am absolutely not suggesting Kodak can't live up to their claim. The way I posted the last question in my findings, was to see what kind of reply's I would get.
All other paper companies better WAKE-UP, Kodak maybe pulling ahead of the pack.
Kudos 2 Kodak !
Old Feb 15, 2004, 10:50 PM   #4

Depends on if it really works with all printer inks, and also if they find any problems with it down the line.
I'd like it if it really worked and I'd like to see them sell it in bigger sheet sizes too .

Epson had a paper called Archival Matt that was rated at 90+ years, then they quietly renamed it to Enhanced Matt when it was discovered the inks would last but the paper failed(started to turn brown) at about 30 years.

The 100% acid free cotton rag papers(like Arches cold pressed) are supposed to be very long lived, but they are thick and stiff and won't pass through many printers.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:52 AM   #5

I just emailed Kodak requesting they make larger sheets. Anyone else with large format printers should do the same.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:54 AM   #6

interesting indeed, the question is: how is the print quality on the papers?

If their claims are true, then there's no need for archival inks... interesting, interesting...

works for my since i have an epson 1290
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:55 AM   #7

Good idea I scribbled of a note asking for larger sheets and 13 inch rolls too
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:57 AM   #8

There don't seem to be any ICC paper profiles available for it yet, so it is a roll your own hit/miss thingy for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCohen

If their claims are true, then there's no need for archival inks... interesting, interesting...

Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:17 PM   #9

I made an 8X10 print of the new Ultima Picture Paper with my Canon I9100. Considering no other paper manufacture makes this 100 year claim for dye based inks I'm going to pop open a bottle of Champagne !
It's a glossy paper, however...it's not as " SUPER GLOSSY " as Epson or Canon's most glossy paper's. People who care about super gloss and like seeing the reflection of themselves on the photo ':roll:', instead of hanging it on the wall so relatives and friends can see the masterpiece should shy away from this paper. Those who want to give a gift that should last a lifetime, this is a good one.
I used the print setting's " Glossy Photo Paper ", and the paper came out a tad curled on each side ( Oh that might sound to harsh, a little raised ) and was a little sticky to the touch for a few minutes. As far as I'm concerned no big deal. What I'm looking for is how the inks harmonize with the paper. Yes ..the colors were excellent. I'm going to try other print setting's later and also give it a go on my HP psc 2210. I'm still waiting for Kodak's reply for a larger paper.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 5:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP
There don't seem to be any ICC paper profiles available for it yet, so it is a roll your own hit/miss thingy for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCohen

i make my own profile
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote