Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Feb 20, 2004, 6:37 AM   #1

Default anyone tried krylon preserve it?

has anyone tried krylon preserve it on their digital prints? supposedly it was specially made for inkjet printouts and will protect against UV and all that bad stuff.

a couple months ago I tried the krylon UV spray and came out with unexpected results. the blacks shifted and it had a toxic smell for a week. I checked the krylon site and saw they had this product.

it seems fairly new and pretty hard to find. I've only seen a handful of sites where they sell it. either way, I just ordered a can out of curiosity and was wondering if anyone had some experience with it.

krylon preserve it: http://krylon.com/product/cd_product....asp?sgID=CD37
gokou1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2004, 9:44 AM   #2

I've seen the krylon never used it.

We do use Sureguard (McDonald PRO-TECTA-COTE) #931(Matte Special) spray. It comes in 19.7fl oz cans, Smells horrible you really need good ventilation to use it, when applied properly(very thin even coat) it becomes invisible.

I don't have a manfacturers website but it is made in Grand Prairie, Texas.
A distributor is Perfection distributing

Expensive though about 25$cdn a can when bought by the case.
Ok so thats about 2$us.

EDIT:
looks like Adorama carries it for 11.95us a can.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 5:53 PM   #3

Also look at any local scrapbook stores or craft stores. I bought my wife a can of the matte finish at her favorite store for $7.49 for the 11-ounce can. It is acid-free/archival-safe

The can states:

Coverage: 15-20 square feet
Dry Time: 10-15 minutes; handle after 2 hours
Recoat: Anytime
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 4:02 PM   #4

Default Have tried it, don't really like it

I have tried the Krylon spray but don't really like it. It clearly marrs the finish of a gloss print (at least mine did), I find that it works better on Matte finish papers. I have also tried Premier Art's 'Print Sheild' on gloss paper. I like the finish on that better than the Krylon but it is much more expensive.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 4:54 PM   #5

thanks for all the replies.

I got my can of krylon preserve it! (gloss) today, but I have still yet to use it. when I do, I'll be sure to give a full review.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:06 AM   #6

I have just finished trying Krylons Preserve It "Matte" with disasterous results. I first applied it to a regular 35mm 4x6 print from the local 1 hour photo place and it rendered the photo with a smelly but decent matte finish. I then printed a 4x6 on Canon Photo Paper Pro with my new Canon S9000 and after sufficient drying time sprayed it as well. Almosy instantly the finish turned milky white on the edges then in a few minutes the entire photo was like that. After drying over night the look was the same and now the finish can be rubbed off with your finger to reveal the original gloss paper finish! I have repeated this three times now trying different amounts sprayed and warmer temps with no change. Can't imagine what is causing this to happen except maybe the paper or ink. Anybody seen this effect before?

Update: I have emailed Krylon with all the info regarding the problem, paper type, temp, spray used, humidity, GPS cordinates [not really] and so far the reply from them was one question - did I use the same can of spray on both the successful regular photo print and the inkjet print. I'll keep you all posted on thier next response. [I did say in my orig email that I had used same can on both]
asusee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 2:29 PM   #7

Default Krylon Preserve It spray & others

Krylon emailed me back after I asked them for help and told me to spray very light coats with the first few being extrmemly light so that it would cure rapidly. All this is because the product reacts with the ink. I did as instructed [six coats total] and had satisfactory results. However I was not thrilled with the idea of spraying six coats to obtain a usable result. As a comparison I tried a can of McDonald PRO-TECTA-COTE Lacquer with UV Inhibitor with stunning single coat results. This product is far superior to the Krylon spray. No evidence of reaction with the ink no matter how much I applied. It dries very fast too but I warn you - use with adequate ventilation!! This stuff is intense to apply but after it cures there is almost no odor at all - not true of the krylon treated prints that retained that toxic odor days after being sprayed. So my two cents says buy the McDonald spray - it rocks.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 3:01 PM   #8

is the McDonald Lacquer an aerosol spray or a brush on? also, what was the approx. drying time? the non-toxic smell really has my interest.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 3:23 PM   #9

Default McDonald Sureguard Pro-Tecta-Cote

It is an aerosol can 19.7 fluid oz. It is a tall can so I imagine it will do many photos. Drying time was very quick - 5 to 10 mins un-aided - under 5 if fanned with a stiff piece of paper. Thats dry enough to handle - I actually stacked them together after 1/2 hour dry time and they did not stick at all.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:11 PM   #10

asusee,

Got a question on the Krylon Preserve It, did you have the can standing upright and was the print actually flat or was it standing up since it seems like the instructions require the can to be standing up.

Also, does anyone know how to remove dust from a print after something like Krylon Preserve It which is lacquered based is sprayed on the picture since it seems like I forgot to get rid of the dust before spraying.

Thanks,

Vince
Almighty1 is offline   Reply With Quote