Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:03 PM   #1

Default 3 options: Red River, Ilford, or Pictorico

I'm quite fond of satin/pearl papers. the 3 popular choices are Red River Polar Satin, Ilford Smooth Pearl, and Pictorico Photo Glossy Paper. I've tried 2 out of 3 and I just want to compare them all. btw, I use a Canon i850 with OEM inks.

Pictorico Photo Glossy Paper (210gsm/8.3 mil) - the paper is not very thick. compared to Red River, it seems to have a slightly yellowish cast. but its ceramic coating boasts that prints will come out better and last longer compared to other papers. when printed on, the surface of the photo feels slightly sticky. (50 cents a sheet when purchased in bulk)

Red River Polar Satin (254gsm/10.4mil) - the most expensive of the three. is thicker than Pictorico, and is very white. just like Pictorico, the printed area is slightly sticky (not as sticky as Pictorico though). other than that, this paper seems to work very well. (approx. 55 cents a sheet when purchased in bulk)

Ilford Smooth Pearl (280gsm) - I have never tried this paper. It seems to be the thickest of the three and has the same ceramic coating technology as Pictorico. I'm not sure how white the paper is, but I can only hope for the best. it is the least expensive of the three (only 40 cents a sheet when purchased in bulk).

I'm hoping that the Ilford Smooth Pearl will be a combination of the Red River Polar Satin and the Pictorico Photo Glossy Paper with no stickyness. the feel I'm looking for is the texture of pearl with the smooth feeling similar to those on glossy papers (no stickiness!) reading reviews on this board have only revealed positive things about Ilford.
gokou1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 10:17 PM   #2

Default try epson paper

Epson makes a paper with a "luster" finish that I really like. I use it
with my i960 and the results are great. It's a bit expensive though
srdrgz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 1:01 AM   #3

I was hoping to confirm your posting of Ilford & Pictorico as you said.......... " having a ceramic coating technology " paper.....but they make no claim of this !
Kodak is the only one that has a " PROPRIETARY CERAMIC NANO PARTICLE TECHNOLOGY " paper.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:18 AM   #4

the info on the ceramic coating can be found here:

pictorico- http://pictorico.com/Secure/content/cb.asp?catid=6

ilford - http://ilford.com/html/us_english/pr...pdf/555_en.pdf
gokou1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:51 AM   #5

Thanks for posting the websites however Ilford states thier paper lasts only 10 years. Kodak claims 100 years and they went into GREAT DETAIL on testing procedures.
Ilford and Pictorico does not. Basically just saying. they use ceramic particle technology.
<<<Really>>>, I wish other companies would make such a claim as Kodak.

Even if Kodak paper lasts half of what they claim I'll still be a happy camper.
I'd rather give a gift to family & freinds that lasts, rather than to have the memories FADE away.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 4:34 PM   #6

If you want longer longevity from ilford paper, look at the classic or printasia papers. Independant testing has shown these papers to have as much as 10 times the longevity as ilford smooth. Fyi these independant tests showed ilford smooth to last less than ten years (I don't buy kodaks 100yr claim either). Smooth was 3-4 years if memory serves while printasia and classic is more like 30 years. If you use a canon printer, classic may cause pooling (classic pearl is more forgiving that classic gloss). Look on ilfords site for the diffrence between these two papers (nano-porus and resin coated/swellable pollymere). Printasia seems to be some sort of a hybrid between the two. Ilford paper is very good quality. Dont let the price fool you.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote