Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Mar 10, 2004, 7:56 PM   #1

Default are there alternatives to original canon ink

i have an s820 and i have ordered my ink off of ebay and most of the prints were of good quality.

bu the last batch i bought print horrid photos.

Does anyone have a particular company they use to buy ink and have good results reliably with their pics???

Thanks
clocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:39 PM   #2

if youre good with DIY stuff, try the refill kit from http://inkjetgoodies.com/. I hear its the best refill out there, and it breaks down to about $1.50 a cartridge.
gokou1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:04 PM   #3

thanks for the info i looked at inkjet goodies cartridges prices and they are the same price as canon if you look for them on amazon.

that sux

i guess i will give there refill kit a shot

wanted replacement cartridges though
clocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:54 PM   #4

look at databazaar.com - I have ordered from them before. It is origional Canon BCI-6 serries ink for my i9100 (which is the same ink as your S820 and my previous S800) but just from the Japanese market.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:03 PM   #5

On my last trip to Japan Nov. 2003, I noticed some stores were selling the Canon BCI-6 Inks a little bit cheaper than other stores.
I checked for expiration dates and noticed the cheaper Canon BCI-6 inks had only a code.
On the box, the ones with a code did NOT include the((( i9100))). Of course the<<< s9000>>>and other printers were listed.
The one 's that were a little bit more had an expiration date and i9100 listed. Hmmmm
If your purchasing cheap Canon OEM inks from the web, be carefull, they could have been manufactured late 2001 or early 2002.
I naturally purchased the one with an expiration date. The new production ink.
Converting Yen to Dollar it cost me $ 7.00
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 4:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocker
thanks for the info i looked at inkjet goodies cartridges prices and they are the same price as canon if you look for them on amazon.

that sux

i guess i will give there refill kit a shot

wanted replacement cartridges though
What inkjet godies has their reputation for is their refill ink. It was sold for quite a while under the inkjet goodies name but is now mediastreet. The inkjet goodies ink has been independantlly tested to perform as good as canon ink as far as color gamut and nearlly as well as longevity for 1/10th the price. Inkjet goodies claims that the mediastreet ink is the same as the old ijg ink. I have oredered the media street inks but have not used them yet. The bottles are completlly identical with the exception of a diffrent label. If you get the kit with the refillable empty cartriges, it is very easy to refill. You cannot go wrong. This stuff is as good as gold for canon users. Fyi color match is very close to canon ink too. The color will not be way off like some of the cheapo prefilled carts you can get.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 9:54 PM   #7

Quote:
The color will not be way off like some of the cheapo prefilled carts you can get.
I've tried these - what a nightmare. I just don't have the wherewithal to fool with "compatibles" anymore. I just buy genuine Canon through Ebay for about 30 to 50% of BigBox shelf.

Slim
CowboySlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:41 PM   #8

Default Re: are there alternatives to original canon ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocker
i have an s820 and i have ordered my ink off of ebay and most of the prints were of good quality.

bu the last batch i bought print horrid photos.

Does anyone have a particular company they use to buy ink and have good results reliably with their pics???

Thanks
I've had great success using the MIS inks and refilling myself. Quality is as good as OEM, plus when I use with the Red River paper, it is simply stunning.

my 2c

By the way, I also use MIS in my HP 720c for years and they have been great. The MIS inks did not work well at all in my HP Photosmart though.

Pat
panamapat is offline   Reply With Quote