Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Mar 24, 2004, 3:03 AM   #1

Default a good word about inkjetart.com

...which can be found here: http://www.inkjetart.com

I emailed this company, on a weekend, inquiring about the costs of shipping. Bright & early Monday morning, I received an email with a quote.

I went online and purchased papers, a little more than I initially anticipated but figured that shipping shouldn't be too much more.

Shortly after, I received a confirmation and noting a higher than expected shipping cost. I thought to email them asking if this was a mistake but thought, "Well, maybe they bomb proof their papers & shipping box...I'll wait & see."

Well, they sent the papers and very fast-I will add! Upon looking at the USPS label, my suspicions were right. I was overcharged, based on an inaccurate weight. I emailed them (again on a weekend, as it was) and again, bright and early Monday morning I received a response.

They agreed that a mistake was obviously made and offered a credit issue to my credit card. I was impressed. Prompt communications, amicable resolve, speedy shipping and nicely boxed papers. I couldn't be more pleased with this company.

Anyway, I just thought to pass the word on in case others are looking for a source for ink-jet papers.

Sheesh, it's been awhile since my last posts. I've become quite overwhelmed with all this and have taken abit of a break, while I casually try to learn this new medium. :shock:
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:05 PM   #2

What type of paper are you looking for? I checked Inkjetart's prices and they seem...well, a little pricey. I get my papers and inks at either atlex.com or databazaar.com. Atlex does charge for shipping (only 2nd day UPS Air for Alaska) but databazaar's shipping is free with no minimum on ALL orders (judging from their website, that includes AK) . Atlex's prices seem to be consistently $5 or so cheaper than inkjetart's (Epson Colorlife, which I use with great results with my Canon s9000, is $10.66 at atlex but $15.30 at inkjetart and $13 with "possibly" free shipping to Alaska). I used to get my Epson cartridges at Atlex but now that I've gone Canon I get s9000 cartridges at Databazaar for the lowest prices I've found for OEM --- and, of course, free shipping. BTW, glad to hear someone on the internet 'fessed up to overcharging. Atlex and databazaar are highly rated and many folks on this website and over at dpreview use them.

Steve
sdwsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 11:50 PM   #3

Hi Steve,

I had ordered sample papers from inkjetart: both lines of ilford and Epson sampler.

The cheapest Epson Premium Gloss paper that I could find was on Amazon, considering the free shipping.

I just did a mock purchase from Atlex and see that they are too expensive to ship to Alaska.
I definitely will have to give databazaar a try though and thank you for the mention. Hopefully when I place an order with them, it will be straight forward and upfront.
By which I mean, not receiving an email later stating that shipping will be more.
I had such an experience today, in fact :x My card wasn't charged as I cancelled but a disappointment none-the-less.

Have you seen, heard or tried out PrintSavings for inks: http://www.printsavings.com/modItems.aspx?cid=2930
They seem very reasonable and I do see on pricegrabbers.com that they have a good rating, though seemingly almost too good. If you know what I mean.
I did submit them to resellerratings.com (no feedback as of yet) and see that they aren't established with bizrate, either.

Quote:
BTW, glad to hear someone on the internet 'fessed up to overcharging.
I agree. I was somewhat surprised that they did. Having said that because I've dealt with numerous companies who've had greatly over-inflated their shipping costs, thus making up for their low prices. I do believe the term for that is "back-loading."

Anyway, will definately give databazaar a try. Thanks again, Steve.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 7:24 AM   #4

Hi Informativetoo!

If only shipping to Alaska were as easy as shipping to the "lower 48"....I hope databazaar.com is able to accommodate you, and they have a great bizrate rating! Looks like AK orders go USPS and they do say free shipping on ALL orders, with no written hedging on Guam, Hawaii or Alaska. Thanks for the printsavings.com link; I had checked them out and they're good prices, but I also did a "mock" purchase and they tack on shipping charges; I don't know whether it's per item or for the entire purchase, but the shipping costs add up and databazaar is still cheaper. On my Canon s9000 I use Qimage, the color profiles from wandb.com and Epson Colorlife, Matte Paper Heavyweight and Ilford Classic Pearl Paper for the 13 x 19's. I've done prints on all those papers and borderless workarounds for everything up to the 13 x 19s and they have come out great; the Canon is very accommodating! BTW, do you have a Costco in your neck of the woods? They have 3 Canon cartridges for about $27.50 ; I'm thinking about using them as an emergency standby. I've seen your posts here is Steve's and Dpreview and I know you had a struggle to decide on a printer; which one did you end up with? I had an Epson 780 that was noisy, slow and always cleaning its nozzles but (eventually) printed great pics but the s9000, of course, blows it away. Just a tad worried about the fading issues for Canon ink, but have noticed none so far.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 2:10 AM   #5

Hi Steve,

Quote:
If only shipping to Alaska were as easy as shipping to the "lower 48"....
Oh, tell me about it! Shoot, so many good deals to be had down there. Factor in the shipping here...and it isn't very good. However, in many cases...it's still cheaper than purchasing here. That is, if you can find the product here. Living in S.E. Alaska has really caused me to be frugal and has put me to research prices & shipping costs. Something I've become quite good at. :lol:

Anytime I am South, my family and I take the max amount of luggage allowed, empty. Our luggage handlers here always know when the locals have gone shopping. :lol:

Quote:
I use Qimage, the color profiles from wandb.com ...
I just went there (wandb.com): http://wandb.com/ I must ask, would that be under "headache"? lol
Color profiles, now that is something I know little about. I read a whole chapter in a book that I must go back and re-read. It was regarding color management. Phew! So much to learn, it seems, in order to get the best results.
I'm testing qimage and thus far, think it's a nifty little program. However, it does seem to over-sharpen people shots. I think I will have to fiddle around a little bit more with qimage.

We are members of Costco and do order in bulk from Costco down South. We also have a Costco further North but getting there would require a plane/ferry ride.
I would have to check my catalog to see if they carry my inks but doubt that they do.
Which brings me to the printer I chose.

Determining which printer to choose was a huge struggle for me. Thanks to a few members here, they helped me understand a few things about ink-jets that I would have not known, had it not been for their sending test prints.

In looking at the prints from the different printers, quite frankly...they were better than I had initially expected (not having seen a picture printed from a photo ink-jet printer prior. )
Each seemed to have it's slight difference but all good, in my opinion.
However, the prints I tended to favor were from the Hp 7960. There seemed to be more detail in shadowed areas, giving a greater sense of depth. The colors also appeared to be dead on.
B&W with the 7960 were superb, as the majority of others have said of this printer.
The Canons definitely shined when it came to colors. Wow, punchy! I read a post from someone claiming the Canon print to be dull, flat and lacking color. Certainly not my experience! lol
As for the Epson R300, it seemed to land right in the middle.

The printer I chose was not on my short list. I switched horses right at the end and no, wasn't expecting to do this. In reading other posts, someone made mention of the Epson R200 ($99.00).
This printer being the same printer as the R300, minus the card slots & pictbridge support.
This piqued my interest. Having done a google search, ended up bringing me to the Epson RX500, an all-in-one. This having the the R200 (300) printer, the 2400 Scanner and copier.
Hmmm Fact is, I had wanted a new scanner but that was being put on the back burner. Until I saw the price of the RX500: $219. w/ free shipping from Amazon.
The choice became clear...goodbye (my) hp psc 500...hello Epson RX500 I wouldn't have to worry about creating more space, either.

Having the Hi-ti and now the RX500, I feel like I have the best of all worlds. Entry level but a solid start, with solid reviews. I say entry level because eventually, dependent on how well I do, I'm considering taking this beyond a hobby-maybe. I pretty much have everything to learn & grow with now. Enough to wet my feet and gain some experience.

If I were a Pro and had the funds to back it up, I would probably outfit my office with these: Canon 10D, Olympus P-440, large format, Epson pigment printer and Epson Perfection 3200 scanner.
Not much to ask for, is it? :lol:

It will be interesting to see what becomes of digital cameras & printers between now and the time I upgrade. Amazing how much there is to learn, though. Heck, I still need to figure out my camera yet!
Hopefully I won't have any problem with my print heads, especially when considering the fact that I am using it as a copier (though not often) and scanning to print.

Quote:
Just a tad worried about the fading issues for Canon ink, but have noticed none so far.
This seems to get mixed reviews. I imagine with good paper, oem inks and better care of the prints will always give better results. This was an issue that caused me to shy away from the Canon. However, in just looking at the Canon prints...they still look good and they've been out in the open and unprotected.

Well, think I've probably wrote your eyes out. lol I think to cross part of this post in the ink-jet forum later. A few people here may have wondered where I've disappeared to and what I finally chose.

Thank you Steve, for your input. I certainly hope to continue seeing you around here. Between the two forums: dpreview and here, I'd have to say the people here seem a great deal friendlier, as do they seem to reveal a greater sense of humor :lol:

I better close here

~Kate
Old Mar 28, 2004, 12:22 AM   #6

Hi Kate!

You're right, we're getting off-topic here...Just wanted to say "thanks" for sharing your info and situation vis-a-vis "The Frozen North" . I promise not to "lurk" as much and will give you a friendly "halloooo" whenever I see your posts. Keep honing your printer skills, and any tips I think you can use I'll be sure to wing your way!

Best Wishes,

Steve

http://trailhiker.smugmug.com
Old Mar 28, 2004, 11:47 PM   #7

Quote:
You're right, we're getting off-topic here
Oh...well...I do have a tendency to digress. However, continuity can still be seen, despite my taking a few rabbit trails. Honest! :lol:

I don't mind when the subject drifts, unless it's in regards to serious matters. If we strictly kept to the subject at hand and nothing more...it'd strike me as a less friendly place to be.

Quote:
Keep honing your printer skills, and any tips I think you can use I'll be sure to wing your way!
Thanks, Steve. Undoubtedly I will have numerous questions in the future. On top of the printer (and all that it entails), I also am new to PS7.
I've decided to stop and take a breath and approach it all, one step at a time.

Quote:
I promise not to "lurk" as much and will give you a friendly "halloooo" whenever I see your posts.
That's always a welcome. You'll fit in quite well here. Always nice to meet a friendly & helpful "face". We'll never run out of space for folks like you.

As a note, I looked at your album. I recognize some of those places. I spent 13 years in Washington state, travelled to and through Oregon, Northern California and Reno. Some beautiful places can be found there, as you obviously know and have shown in your album

Did you enjoy your stay in Alaska?
Old Mar 29, 2004, 12:36 AM   #8

Ok Kate, so perhaps ONE MORE off-topic reply (apologies to Steve the proprietor)...

Thanks for the kind words and for taking a peek at my smugmug site. I visited Alaska --- when was it, 2 years ago? --- via the Inside Passage from Seattle. No, I wasn't a "cruis-ie" on a huge, faceless cruise ship; I went with my dad on one of those 100-passenger ships that can go into places the monster ships would never dare try. So we went to Misty Fijords, Glacier Bay and the usual SE Alaska spots, Ketchikan, Sitka et al and ended up in Juneau. The thing that most impressed me about AK is the sheer IMMENSITY of it all. I'm a solo hiker/backpacker but I'm more used to being a few miles from the nearest dirt road, not hundreds of miles :!: But I would like to visit AK again some time, perhaps drive up the Alaska Highway. As you can see from the pics at my photo site I tend to do landscapes but with my new camera, the Panasonic FZ10, I feel like I can take photos of pretty much everything, be it birds, people, fast action etc, and have a good chance of it coming out decent. I print them out on my Canon s9000 with Qimage or Paint Shop Pro 7 (never got Photo Shop or Photo Elements) and buy frames mostly at Aaron Brothers; I've had them custom-frame and matte some panoramas too. I'm branching out to travelling on the water; for the past year I've been building a kayak in my living room, a mahogany/fiberglass stitch-and-glue I bought up at a shop in Port Townsend, WA, where my parents live. So with my camera, photo printer, kayak project and other things (oh yeah, my job :roll: ) I keep myself off the streets. ANYway, this stuff is more for private e-mail and not public forums, especially as I have yet to mention Inks, Papers, etc, so time to sign off and check out dpreview' Panasonic site, my other hangout. Take care, Kate, and enjoy life up in beautiful Alaska!

Cheers,

Steve