Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old May 15, 2004, 8:07 PM   #1

I just received a new i9100 printer. The price was great ( $250 shipped) because of the introduction of the i9900. My old Epson 1270 was great (but VERY slow) and had steaking problems after three years of use. I bought the Epson refurbished and paid the same for a new i9100.

I have printed several photos using Epson Heavyweight Matte paper and they are great. I have also printed a few 8.5 X11's (full bleed) pix on Red River paper. They look terrific. I'm a bit concerned about the longevity of my pictures. My Epson prints have held up very well on Epson Matte paper.

The Canon produces beatiful photos quickly. My question is, will they last?
Bob_Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:56 PM   #2

Canon inks with Canon paper estimated life 25 years.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:46 PM   #3

I have been using Redriver paper for about three years with mostly HP printers (HP5550 and HP970). The photos have not lost any of their cover. I believe that the ink will have more to contribute than the paper.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 6:16 PM   #4

At my age, twenty-five years is long enough :-)

I bought a package of Epson 4X6 Premium Glossy paper for those grandkid pictures that come over the Internet. The convenience and quality are worth the price.

Thanks for the responses...
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 1:08 PM   #5

(Added this after the fact: Noticed that I posted to an i9100 thread - sorry - but I'll let this message stand in any case as it might be interesting to those looking in).

Having just bought an i9900 a little over a week ago and blowing through the supplied 4x6 sample Photo Paper Pro in about 5 minutes, and now almost having gone through the remainder of some 4x6 Kodak glossy stock I had squirreled away, I've been looking for alternative (cheaper) papers to the Canon paper.

Red River's prices look good and from what I've read here and elsewhere is good quality. But, the lack of ICC profiles for their paper with the i9900 bothered me. So, I emailed Red River and got the following response:

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry.

We will be making ICC profiles for the Canon i9900 and the papers you mention, as well as a few others. They should be ready in 2-3 weeks. Please email or call with any questions.

Sincerely,
Drew Hendrix
Red River Paper
Inkjet Paper & Ideas 888-248-8774
It'll be interesting to try their paper out with the supplied profiles. I'll post results when I have them...

Geoff
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 5:14 PM   #6

I have a Canon i9900 and am very happy with the results. The only complaint that I have is that it doesn't have a template for the 11x14 print. I can force it to print this size but I loose part of my image both in width and height. Sure wish Canon would add this print size to the software drivers for this printer.

I also have had the best luck with Ritz Camera's brand of Pro Glossy Photo Paper. It is fair priced and gives the best quality that I have ever seen.

Jim
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 5:32 PM   #7

Thanks for advice about the Ritz brand paper. I might try this out once I've used up the paper that I currently have (a few sampler packs from freephotopaper.com - not really free!). Does the Ritz paper come with color profiles for the i9900?

I also wish the i9900 didn't limit the length of paper it could print to at 23 or so inches. I'd like longer so I could print out some decent panoramas.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 4:39 PM   #8

> 25 years is not enough

If the prints are for you to keep - well - you'll still have the original images in 10 years so re-print them then - I guarentee you there'll be something along by then that makes the i9100 look positivly antique! :-)

You *will* remember to re-fresh your optical disks, won't you? CD-Rs deteriorate, probably faster than your prints!

ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:37 PM   #9

I use redriver paper and a Canon i960. My prints come out better without using the redriver supplied paper profile for the printer than with. Thus your mileage may vary :-)

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 1:08 AM   #10

I'll at least try Red River's sampler packs of paper with their supplied ICC profiles. Not much lost to do that.