Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Sep 8, 2002, 10:41 PM   #1

Default Overwhelming Options in Papers

I thought I was overwhelmed with issues of Photoshop, scanning, digital cameras, etc., but now I'm turning to printing and I see I am in for a lot more trouble.

I have been using Kodak Ultima and Premium because it was available when I made my first few prints. But, if I am going to continue this expensive process I need to get educated fast on papers. I don't want to have regrets $500 down the road.

I don't plan to print all that much. Mostly, I make slide shows. But I do want to make 8x10's, 11x14's and possibly 16x20's if 11x14's go well.

My purpose is soley to frame my images and hang them on the wall, rotating them regularly, or to give them to friends and relatives for the same purpose. My concerns are pretty images and longevity. I can afford good paper, but I don't want to go overboard costwise either. I spend enough at this hobby already.

Any advice to start me in the right direction will be appreciated. I realize that I will have my own opinions as I gain experience, but I would sure like to not be too far off the mark at the start. I have a habit of going hell-bent-for-leather and then trashing it all and starting from scratch when I figure out what I should have done. I have an Epson 1280 printer and use Epson ink.

Thanks for your advice.

Bob
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2002, 4:31 AM   #2

Bob,
Have you tried this yet?

ColorLife™ Photo Paper, 8.5" x 11" 20 sheets (For EPSON Stylus Photo 780,785EPX,870,875DC,875DCS,890,1270,1280) S041500

ColorLife™ Photo Paper, 13" x 19", 20 sheets (For EPSON Stylus Photo 1270/1280)

Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 9:38 AM   #3

Thanks, Gary, I was eyeing that and will order some today.

Bob
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 12:25 PM   #4

Also look at Red River Paper...they're pretty good. They have so many choices it'll really confuse you.
E.B.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 6:22 PM   #5

Default jet print paper

I have been using Jet print photo paper, Professional . I find it gives me better glossy images than name brand such as epson premium. Also jet print had been running a special on their web site (www.jetprintphoto.com) professional paper buy one get one free. reduces cost to about $6.75 for a 15 sheet pack.
Hope this helps!
jrsboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:30 PM   #6

RedRiver will send you a sample pack. I'm in the process of testing the selection they sent me. So far I've been happy with the results - but don't look to the samples as final prints (they've got stamps on the bottom of each page with the type, and weight).
gbenoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 2:54 PM   #7

How do you get red river to send sample paper. I just bought a hp printer and would like to try other brands that may not be as expensive
vpatel98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 7:11 AM   #8

We have a Canon s900 and have tried a variety of local store bought papers, and have had good results with the Jet Print Photo Professional and the Kodak Ultima. You lose some of the resolution when compared to canon's paper, but the colors look very nice.

IBM's paper was ok - nothing outstanding, the colors seemed to be a bit muted. The burlington paper really disappointed us.

For a really neat finish, the Burlington Canvas actually did really good. I'm sure there are better canvas papers out there, but we were impressed with the results.

All of these were purchased at the local Best Buy. We are going to be ordering professional papers online in a few weeks, but I thought I would give you some results that we had so far!
ShannonS is offline   Reply With Quote