Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Oct 25, 2003, 9:18 AM   #11

look there have been so many things written up on using 2nd and 3rd tier inks. this should be a wakeup call. i have had little to no problems with my units using original inks.

you are bringing on your own issues when you use these. i hear about these problems and the first question i ask about the ink. i either get no answer or the admittance if cheap ink. its cheaper to get epson ink then to destroy a perfectly good printer and have prints that fade in no time.

they fade faster they have poor overall quality. why do you think they are so much cheaper? basically because they are considerably less quality then epsons own stuff. you just proved it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 7:49 AM   #12

1. Just because this time I left the printer unused for 2 months before I discovered the leakage (lazy and not too enthusiastic any more in printing). Else I'm confident that would be solved by a few head cleaning. And do you dare to say that the printer can survive when being dried up for 2 months with Epson's ink?

2. Inkjet prints ALL fade! No matter which ink you use. (Well I'm not sure about the new pigmented ink.) I have collections of all the prints in my albums of my sons for the past few years. I watched for the stability (occupational disease).

3. Do you think the original inks really worth that much? For example the Stylus C83, it's selling at ~$200 here (only, for such a complicated and advanced little mechine). One set of the inks (4 cartridges) 'worth' ~$98. The money spent on 2 sets of inks can get another new printer (that comes with 1 set of FREE inks). Calculate.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 8:04 AM   #13

i not only dare but have with my 1270 and 1 month with my 2200 so far. i tend to travel every now and then that requires somewhat of extended stays. this is not to say that a cleaning cycle or two isn't necessary but never things like leakage.

the newer ultrachrome inks exceed anything on the market. the 2nd tiers are so poor in the longevity they should be used for microsoft internal email printouts so they disappear as fast is their emails do.

under glass and out of direct sunlight (UV) the average lifespan of a good print is 25yrs with the ultrachrome inks well beyond that with the pignents. i have prints made with early HP inks. they're gone essentially 1-2yrs. my old epson 750 they're good for about 3-4 yrs.

when your selling your prints and people are putting out their good money you have to produce a print that you can to your satisfaction warranty for quality. any print that goes out from me has a included instruction set w/warranty. its easy to tell if they haven't followed them. if its my fault free reprint if its theirs a reasonable reprint fee is charged.

the price of the ink is proportional to the value of the printed image

Where is here? this is a problem when discussing things with people here. price and product are relative to location. so i'm in the US where are you? there is a location box in your profile that you can put region/country of origin.

price for C82 ink:
http://www.atlex.com/Epson/inkjet_printer/c82.htm

price for C84 ink:
http://www.atlex.com/Epson/inkjet_printer/c84.htm

price for 960 ink:
http://www.atlex.com/Epson/inkjet_printer/photo_960.htm

price for 2200 ink:
http://www.atlex.com/Epson/inkjet_pr...photo_2200.htm

realize that the printer market is like buying a blade type razor. the practically give you the razor but you WILL PAY for the blades. if it works for you'll continue to get them.

there is one non epson ink supplier that i have used and its even more money then epson- Lysonic archival inks also pigment based
Old Oct 26, 2003, 8:42 AM   #14

in the US i bought a c82 for $36 after rebates(now discontinued). a c84 goes for ~$75 after rebate.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 7:08 AM   #15

Ok. So you're making a living by printing. I print for fun and you print to sell. I was comparing consumer level inks (as you can see I'm still using the old 860) while you're talking about pro level 'ultrachrome' inks. Well I have no comment there as I'm not up to that standard yet.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 7:34 AM   #16

the c82 is far from a pro level printer. my 8 yr old daughter has a 860. look its simple if your printing for "fun" i guess you can use what ever you want. don't complain about you results or the problems encountered using these inks. if or when your printer fails due to clogged heads or leakage don't blame epson.

no i don't make a living printing but when a print of mine is sold i like to deliver a image that i am proud of.

these are not "consumer" level inks, they're just low quality products sold at cheap prices.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 9:07 AM   #17

Quote:
they fade faster they have poor overall quality
Oh really? never heard of the epson orange problem? When the 1270/80/90 prints faded terribly in just about a month?

Also, tests have shown that missupply ink fade less than the new epson ink, so forget about the fading thing. There is a page on the internet showing fade problems with different papers, some inks are also tested there. And oh, by the way, epsons premium glossy paper fade pretty much too. It gets beaten severly by Ilford Smooth Gloss papers which dont seem to fade at all.

And you say that epson is higher quality because it's more expensive. Hello, wake up. It's like saying a ford has higher quality than a BMW just because it is more expensive (some models). I laugh at that . Compare Lexmark and Epson, lexmark ink is a lot more expensive, does that mean that lexmark is higher quality?
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 9:24 AM   #18

yes they do. and yes there was a change in both the paper and the blue ink. they even offered to buy the printer back from me. stayed with it and after getting the 2200 a few months ago finally sold it. remember what the instructions said under glass and it will last. it was an anomoly that they recognized and took action against. still got prints here from it. one is fading due to direct sunlight in the porch area though it was an experiment.

try the matte paper for longevity and art prints. and by the way now that you have read so much have you actually used the products? the internet is like a large room go to one side and here this go to another and here that. i use different papers for different purposes in printing. at no point was paper mentioned. so stick with the program here.

who's tests? give references.

also at $9 a cartridge i don't consider that expensive. i run individual carts so this is not an issue.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 11:00 AM   #19

well the subject was "epson rules". I thought it was worth mentioning that they have problems with their papers too, especially when papers ARE mentioned in the first message.

The actual page is (just found it):

http://members.cox.net/rmeyer9/epson/index.html

Matte paper for longevity you say, that's like a joke to me. If i want high quality glossy paper.. then I shouldn't have to use matte paper, right?

If I have used the products? What products? Epson paper? Yes, but not anymore, if i want extreme color gamut and bright white paper I use tetenal, for longevity I use Ilford (no competition). Epson ink? Yes, good colors. Misink? Yes, good longevity and colors if using ICC-profiles.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 12:50 PM   #20

let me put it this way it is an other discussion group not a test with verifiable results don in a verifialbe fashion. also as you can see the ilford paper has its drawbacks too. look come back when you have verifiable tech results then i'll discuss it with you.