Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Oct 27, 2003, 2:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
let me put it this way it is an other discussion group not a test with verifiable results don in a verifialbe fashion. also as you can see the ilford paper has its drawbacks too. look come back when you have verifiable tech results then i'll discuss it with you.
Drawbakcs yes, but if you use custom ICC-profiles there are no drawbacks if you can live with a slightly less bright white paper.

Another discussion group you say? Erhm, no? Checked the link? As I see it the guy has done some serious tests. I think the tests are good and repeatable. Look at:

http://members.cox.net/rmeyer9/epson/mis_shift.html

And also, read how the tests were done at:

http://members.cox.net/rmeyer9/epson/tests.html

So the tests in my opinion are very good indeed. But you want it to be verified 100 times over or what?
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 3:22 PM   #22

which MIS inks were used the pigments or the dyes? it just says inks. i will agree that MIS is not your average alt supplier. when i refer to a second tier i am refering to ones like carrot and many no namers.

MIS and Lysonics do produce a quality product. the MIS pigments are good but don't quite have the gamut of the epson pigments at this time. they do maintain a much deserved reputation.

the MIS pigments ain't cheap either.

so the tests still don't pass muster in the control department. but like i said MIS is another matter.

dating is rather out too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 3:42 PM   #23

Quote:
which MIS inks were used the pigments or the dyes? it just says inks. i will agree that MIS is not your average alt supplier. when i refer to a second tier i am refering to ones like carrot and many no namers.
Probably the regular inks, since they mention MIS Archival inks at another place.

Quote:
MIS and Lysonics do produce a quality product. the MIS pigments are good but don't quite have the gamut of the epson pigments at this time. they do maintain a much deserved reputation.
OK

Quote:
the MIS pigments ain't cheap either.
True

Quote:
so the tests still don't pass muster in the control department. but like i said MIS is another matter.

dating is rather out too.
I agree that the dating is a bit old by now, perhaps epson has changed their inks once again?
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 8:24 AM   #24

Quote:
... don't complain about your results...
I never did. Actually the results are very close to OEM's inks especially when using the Japan made 3rd party inks.

Quote:
...or the problems encountered using these inks. if or when your printer fails due to clogged heads or leakage don't blame epson.
If you read carefully, you could see that I blamed the software driver more than the printer itself.

1. It should have an option to let us change cartridge half way before it thinks the inks is finished so that the ink gauge is always tally with the actual ink (don't tell me if I use Epson's inks, nothing will go wrong forever, the ink did dry up if being left for too long). And do you (maybe your daughter) have a workaround for this?

2. It should have an option to let us choose to clean whether the black or colour print head and not blindly flushes all the inks away!

Now I'm eyeing the Canon i560: individual ink tanks, detachable print head and PHYSICAL inks sensor!

Quote:
these are not "consumer" level inks, they're just low quality products sold at cheap prices.
It's very subjective whether something is considered cheap or not (maybe you're loaded or your standard of living is high). For me, generic inks selling at half the price of Epson are not considered cheap.

Considered a 20-30ml of ink a cartridge, a large scale production batch (say a 1000 litres tank) can easily sell for a few hundred thousands dollars! It's Epson's inks over-priced! (Or how they're able to sell us the printers half free?)

And they're putting chips inside the cartridges to make sure we buy theirs.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 8:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Recently very fed up with my Epson 860. Black ink leaked empty just after 2 months installed rarely used (maybe defective cartridge or improper insertion). The printer software still think it's full. Had to force change the cartridge - made it print and off the power to access its cartridge (anybody has better way to do this?). Now the ink gauge is not tally with the actual ink volume. A physical detector is better than software monitor.

Spent an hour doing nozzle check printing and flushing. Nearly half of the inks gone (the stupid printer also flushed the colour print head!!) but still ended up with 2 clogged nozzles with the black ink.

Also I think clogging problem is least relevant to type of inks used. For years I've tried Epson, Nippon, MicroJet, Sepoms, never clogged only until this time it leaked dry. Just print a Nozzle Check Pattern (uses very little ink) occasionally which will also flush the print head. Epson printers are advised not to be left unused for a long time.
you got fed up with the epson 860. the issue is not with the 860 but with the ink cartridge. there was no problem that was caused by the epson product. it was caused by the cartridge. thats where it started. i personally find more and more people blaming oblects for there problems then possibly the only other obvious part in the equation. again the fault is not with the printer but with the cartridge that you cose to insert in it. so in short its all back to ......
Old Oct 28, 2003, 8:57 AM   #26

It's just a descriptive phrase. Do you need me to say 'Recently very fed up with my Epson 860's software driver...'?

And again: do you think 100% nothing will go wrong forever if Epson's inks are always used? I did experience unused ink dried up in the cartridge after sometime. How's the software driver gonna handle that?
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 9:34 AM   #27

wel technically it not even the driver. under XP you have the printer driver (current version 5.20)which is not related to you status monitor(which is your ink level current version 3.1)

yeah, if you want to explain a issue it would be advisable to give correct info. in my work i deal with innacurate info every day and it makes my trouble shooting that much harder and then unfortunately the i geta a rather negative attitude.

so now that everything is out in the open i will apologize for my poor attitude. but i will still stand by my reasoning on the ink situation except of course when references are made to MIS or Lysonics products.

as to the software in question you are correct in that there was great improvement needed. on individual tank models there seems not to be an issue.

in 10 years i have had no issues that a head cleaning did not take care of. Mods 600 750 1270 2200. again most issues i have read about have come frome cheaper 3rd party inks. but the again it took awhile for most to admit they were using them.

in fact right now i have a c82 that is loaded and going to dear mom down south to replace her 600 thats still working. its being tested by my 8yr old daughter for ops issues. she has not used it in over 1.5 months. i just printed this out. after i turned it on it auto cleaned and proceeded to print this.

http://www.pbase.com/image/22745322
Old Jan 20, 2004, 1:07 AM   #28

Go Canon i960 great printer, individual ink cartridges. Save money on ink and quailty photos.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 1:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imacer
Go Canon i960 great printer, individual ink cartridges. Save money on ink and quailty photos.
The epson r300 also has individual ink cartridges and has better resolution (5760X1440 versus the i960's 4800x1200). It's also cheaper ($179 common price verus $199 for the i960). The only problem is - it is out of stock EVERY store I go into, as well as at many trusted web-retailers. Plenty of i960's to be had though.
So are all the purchasers of the r300 wrong? Does the r300 really use more ink than the i960 (as proposed on some posts)? If so - where is the data?
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote