Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old May 29, 2004, 8:34 PM   #1

I'm ready to buy my first photo printer and these forums have been a tremendous help. I want the Canon i9900 and have been reading aboutand pricing the Photo Paper Pro. Ialways assumed that the borderless papers are slightly larger than the size they are specified, meaning a 4 x 6 sheet might be 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 with the extra 1/2 inch being perforated and torn off after printing, leaving a borderless 4 x 6 print.

But some online stores show Canon PPP in both borderless and perforated versions (at the same store) which leaves me confused. Is my assumption wrong?

Another question: How do you folks handle making prints on media that isn't the same aspect ratio as the image? If you want to make an 8 x 10 print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper, do you change the resolution on a photo editor and accept the uneven white border? Maybe you re-res the image so there is, say, a 1/4" border on all sides instead?

Any opinions are welcome.

And thanks to all for their input on these forums. I've been reading and sucking up all the information I can for months.
proton777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2004, 9:55 PM   #2
Administrator

The perforated 4x6" paper is for older Canon printers. The i9900 and most all of the Canon photo printers in the last year or so print borderless on exact-size papers: 4x6" 5x7" 8.5x11" 13x19" - there are no extra border spaces or tear-offs.

The best way to assure that you can make a borderless size print in various sizes is to always make sure to give yourself some "extra" coverage in the frame. Don't crop so tightly in the camera, do it in software later.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 10:15 PM   #3

Thanks, Steve. That definitely helps on both questions but leads me to another. I see Canon says some of their papers are "for borderless printing". Is the paper truely borderless, or is that just a marketing thing? Your response makes me think any paper size can be printed borderless provided the right cropping/sizing has been done.

Tony
Old May 30, 2004, 8:30 AM   #4

Borderless printing goes right to the edge of the paper. It doesn't matter what brand or kind of paper you use.

It is hard to find 8 X 10 paper in the US. Most people stock 8.5 X 11 paper and just trim it to get an 8 X 10. Otherwise there isn't any real reason to have to trim with a borderless printer. Even for an 8 X 10 on 8.5 X 11 stock borderless is an advantage because you have to trim only 2 sides.

If your digital camera has an optical (non-SLR) finder you have plenty of overlap built into the finder.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 9:08 AM   #5

Yes, that makes good sense. Thanks for your input, Slipe.