Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jun 21, 2004, 2:22 PM   #1

Can anyone confirm that Canon's i960black BCI-6B ink is dye and not pigment based? I am looking for refill ink and one vendor is selling the BCI-6B with pigmented ink and the colors with dye based ink.
grenoblecrescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2004, 5:32 PM   #2

Canon's ink for the i960 is dye based.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 3:45 PM   #3

Whats better pigmented or dye based? If pigmented is better where can I get some for my Canon i960. I been using the regional ink that came with my pirnter.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:52 AM   #4

Canon's printers only take dye based ink, as far as I know. You'll need to get an Epson R800, for example, that takes pigmented ink. Pigmented ink lasts a lot longer than dye based ink. We're talking tens of years versus years (depending on where you hang the print, if it is covered by glass, etc etc). Dye based ink might have a better color gamut.

With Kodak's new paper this might not matter much anymore, they claim that even with dye based ink a print will last 100 years or so.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 7:39 AM   #5

Pigment ink isn't the best on gloss paper, as the spots lay on the gloss instead of sinking into it. This usually leads to a fuzzy print instead of a sharp print. Dye based inks give a vibrancy to gloss prints. I manufacture inkjet inks so I know their shortcomings. < magink@froggy.com.au > Hope this helps
gravityink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:48 PM   #6

Is there any reason why you can't use pigment ink in the canon I960? I presently refill. If I filled an empty cartridge with the correct viscosity pigment ink, would pigment ink survive the bubble jet heat. Is piezo technology the only one that can use pigment? It seems that since Canon uses pigment black ink in some models for text, why can't one use pigment colors as well? I make my own color profiles with Monaco EZ Color 2.
lestwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 4:33 AM   #7

Hi

No reason why you can't! Just don't try printing photos on gloss:?

Cheers Bob
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:28 PM   #8

For people in the US I would recommend getting the ink from MIS specifically for the printer and cartridge. I doubt you will find pigmented ink with the right viscosity and density.

The 6BK cartridge is a photo black. The iP4000 and 5000 come with a large pigmented black tank and also a small BK6 photo black tank. I don't think they would have bothered to put both in the printer if they were interchangeable. Besides the loss of sheen on glossy paper I think your blacks would be too dark.

The Canon cartridges are very easy to refill. There are advantages to refilling besides cost. If you are going to print a large manual 2 sided you want to start with a full black cartridge. It is less than 5 minutes from pulling the cartridge to printing. With the small cartridges the sponge holds a lot of ink and the warning comes on when the reservoir is empty. You can print until it runs out, but I much prefer just refilling the reservoir and not waiting for it to run empty. You lose a lot of ink if you change cartridges when it shows empty. I completely emptied a photo black by putting a paper towel against the sponge. When I filled it the sponge absorbed all of the ink in the reservoir and it took a second full reservoir to fill it.

gravityink Thanks for the tip on the blue stuff to seal the tanks. It isn't that common in the US, but Super Glue makes a similar yellow putty for the same purpose called Handi-Tak. Works great.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:59 AM   #9

Hi Slipe Thanks for the rap. The inks I make are dye based and you only have to flush out a cart and substitute. No big deal: That way you don't have to sweat about Pigment inks again.

I am organizing with a chap in Wichita to produce inks in the US.....so if you are interested keep tuned.

Cheers Bob

Old May 21, 2005, 8:22 AM   #10

I bought a 14 pack of canon 1960 cartridges generic not too long ago, I put the ink in printed a few shots I then went on vacation for one month and came back only to find out the ink had disappeared, I wasn't sure why but I then added the other set and printed a few vacation photo's on a set (6 inks) using at most 5-7% of the ink. I wanted to print yesterday (about another month later) only to find out the ink was empty again!! I have only printed in total probably 10-15 full pages 8 1/2 x 11 of colour and have already gone through 2 sets (12) cartridges. I'm not losing that much ink in the actual printing but it seems to be either leaking or drying up, when I'm not using it. What could cause this??

Does anyone else experience this; will OEMS do the same thing?
nambi is offline   Reply With Quote