Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:34 PM   #1

I just received my order from freephotopaper.com for use with my new Epson R800 printer.I ordered the 8mil paper from them. When printing on the sample Epson glossy paper that came with the printer, it seemed as if the pictures dried VERY quickly (as far as I could tell it wasalready dry coming out of the printer). And it looked exactly like a photograph. The ink in the printer is still the original ink from Epson. Now, when I try printing on the freephotopaper.com paper, the image still looks very good (not quite the Epson look and feel though, but still good), but it comesout wet - and if anything even brushes the picture it will mark the image. In fact, after over TWENTY minutes, the ink on the paper is STILL sticky, and I can see finger prints showing up. This DID not happen with the Epson paper. I'm still trying different paper settings. So far I've tried Premium Glossy & Premium Semigloss with the same problems. Next I was going to try Premium Luster. Does anyone have any experience with this and what have you all found to be the best combination? Also, does the fact that this is 8mil instead of 11mil paper make a difference at all (maybe the thinner paper doesn't soak up the ink as well)? Thanks for any help you can all offer regarding this.

apmtrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:49 PM   #2

I just tried Luster mode and although it did seem a bit more dry than the other modes it still leaves marks for a long time afterwards. It also doesn't look quite as nice as the regular "glossy" modes. One other issue I noticed that did NOT happen with the Epson paper is that I can in fact scratch off all the ink by scratching the picture with the corner of another photo. This is about 45minutes or more after the image wasprinted. Again, the Epson prints DO NOT scratch at all. Any thoughts?

Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:12 PM   #3

I've tried Epson premium glossy and Generic premium glossy from Office Depot with my R800. The Epson is about 10 mil, the Generic is about 8 mil. I can find no difference in the print quality, drying time or scuffability of the output. I surmise that the only difference is in longevity.

I checked out RedRiver papers and they were the same price as Epson. So I figured I might as well use the Epson paper. The two I like best are premium glossy and premium luster.
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:09 PM   #4

So you're not having any trouble with the prints coming out wet or easily scratching up with the 8mil generic paper from office depot? I can't imagine any major difference between the officemax generic and the freephotopaper.com paper, but you never know. Are there any other settings you may be using that could have an effect? What's really amazing about the Epson paper is it looks and feels like a photograph - and even if I touch the print I can wipe off the fingerprint and it goes away. With this paper (and its been drying for several hours now), it still leaves permanent marks if I touch it. In fact, it still feels a bit sticky and I still see a little bit of ink rubbing off on my fingers! I'm wondering if perhaps the Epson is also putting out too much ink for this paper, but I can't seem to find a setting for that. I'm already in the basic photo mode (not best photo or photo rpm). It somehow seems as if the glossypaper is not absorbing all the ink or something.

Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:42 AM   #5

I just wanted to say that I really like most of Steve's reviews and think they are very accurate. However, the freephotopaper I purchased for my R800 has cause me nothing but problems. I do not know about their higher quality paper. I am referring to their 8m photo paper. With my Epson R800, the paper takes days to dry, and the paper doesn't take all the ink well so that you see little streaks of dots all the way down the page in several columns. Also, the colors are not nearly as clean and bright as the Epson paper. At least for the R800 I would definitely not recommend this paper. Additionally, the paper is not much less expensive when compared to buying packs of 100 epson 10mil 4x6's from ecost.com - and if you want a real treat... check out Costco's 10mil 8.5x11 glossy photo sheets (125 for about $18!) Let's just say I think my search for R800 photo paper will be stopping there... If only I had known aboutTHAT 3 months ago... Now what to do with all this extra (other, still rather expensive) photo paper...