Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jul 23, 2004, 5:14 PM   #1

After long use of various shades of glossy paper, I bought a pack of Epson Matte Heavyweight. I deliberately did not get double-sided matte since I planned to print on only one side. But they are almost identical, one side appers slightly smoother than the other. Can anyone give me some clue how I can tell onwhich side to print?
BobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:04 PM   #2
Administrator

One side of the Epson Matte paper should be noticably whiter than the other, this is the print side. When you open the paper, the side with the flap that opens is the print side. There should be some printed sheets in there with instructions and the like on top of the matte paper. If these printed sheets are facing you - you are looking at the print side of the matte paper beneath it.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:53 AM   #3

I have a ceiling light. What I do is hold the paper up below the light and tilt so I'm looking at it at a shallow angle. At the right angle to my eyes and the light, the print side is not only slightly whiter, it is distinctly smoother.

Ken
kenww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 8:02 PM   #4

Steve and Ken - many thanks for your clear instructions. Such a simple thing but ...

Now I'm learning the impressive variations that paper can make, all else being held equal. One principle emerging to my view is that color saturation is noticeablygreater on glossy (Epson glossy) than it is on Epson Matte Heavyweight, all else being equal. So the appropriate settings for the printer need to be made to account for this difference. Printer i9900 Canon, Phtshp CS. I'd guess the matte needs more ink to achieve the same intensity of a particular color. That sounds obvious in print once I've realized it.

...........Bob
BobT is offline   Reply With Quote