Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Aug 29, 2004, 3:29 PM   #1

Problem: Skin tones look a little reddish, most noticeable on the face and looks kind of like a slight sunburn. Otherwise, the remainder of the pictures doesn't seem grossly out of whack (well, okay, some dark blues occassionally pick up a slight purple cast).

Thisbecame more noticeable when I printed a scanned a35mm picture taken by a photographer on a recent family cruise;I printed the scanned pic as a 5x7 next to a different picture taken about the same time frame by my Fujipix S5000.My pic had the above mentioned reddish tone that was absent in the scanned picture. Although skin tones in the scanned pic looked more natural, they were almost pale in contrast. I've noticed this subtle unnatural reddish cast/hue before, but it is more obvious next to the scanned picture.

I have a Canon i960 printer, using Kodak Ultima Picture Paper (the new version) and Canon's bundled EZ Photoprint. I'm using the Canon settings recommended on the Kodak site.

Not sure how to begin to troubleshoot and/or adjust. I don't have $$ to do expensive calibrations. Could it be camera, printer settings, paper, or a needle in the haystack kind of issue?

Thanks,

-Doug

KCDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2004, 9:36 AM   #2

Wow - all the expertise here, but no ideas?
Old Sep 17, 2004, 11:15 PM   #3

Well, I don't know about my expertise, 'cause I'm just figuring this stuff out myself, but I have an I960 (am very pleased with it), and I run everything through MS Photo Editor or MS Picture It!, and just lately starting to use Photoshop Elements.

For color correction, Photo Editor is pretty simple and quick, once you get the hang of it. Sizing and cropping is a little more complicated, at least for me. Picture It! is just the reverse!

I've built profiles in the I960 utility for each of the papers I use, and that works good for me. Just have to plug them in before printing.

I'm printing on Kodak Anytime Picture Paper (cheap) and getting pretty good results. I've worked in the custom photographic printing industry for over 25 years, and am very critical of quality.

So, I guess what I am saying is, your'e going to have to use an editing program to get the best results. (Gee, maybe I should delete all the other stuff I said!)

Vietvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 2:44 AM   #4

I upgraded to the Canon i960 and also recentlyexperienced the sunburned effect on my pics. I also have an i850 and use Canon Photo Glossy Plus paper for both. Only the i960 has the problem. I contacted Canon and they could not seem to resolve it. All maintenance and diagnostic protocols have been run. Have you had any luck in resolving the purple people-eater effect?
hklinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:04 PM   #5

Not found anything specific to the printer; but did find that it was not as noticeable with different paper as explained in my post here:http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...10&forum_id=57

-Doug
Old Sep 23, 2005, 9:28 PM   #6

Hi - I was wondering what profile you used with the Kodak Anytime paper and the Canon i960? I tried using the one recommended by Kodak's website (http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet) and the pictures come out looking rather faded and even blurry. Nowhere near the quality I get with Canon paper.

Recommended settings: Print Quality>Custom Advanced Fine (1), Diffusion, Color Adjustment> Manual Intensity -10, Print Type Auto, Brightness Normal Effects> Image Optimizer, Photo optimizer PRO, Apply Throughout Page, Photo Noise Reduction

BTW I have had excellent results with the following (non-Canon) papers:

Ilford Photo Printasia Premium Photo Glossy Paper

Konica Minolta Injet Photo Paper Glossy Finish
zstringer is offline   Reply With Quote