Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:32 AM   #1

I am looking for a photo printer to go with my Sony s75 (3.1 mp). I like the looks of the Canon prints and have considered the i960 or i900d, but am concerned about longevity of the prints. I will mainly be printing pictures to use in my children's memory albums, so longevity is important. Because of that, I am also considering the Epson Picturemate. Am I stuck with Epson over Canon if I want my pictures to last for my kids? (I hesistate to buy the Picturemate due to its limitation of 4x6 size prints as I would like to do some 5x7 pictures, but am attracted by its fixed cost per print of around 30 cents).
Photo Girl 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:56 AM   #2

I'm not sure there's a way to accurately answer your question- the Canon's prints will likely last into the 10-20 year range before they fade significantly, unless they're protected from light and air (as they might be in an album), in which case they will probably last as long as traditional photos. However, the Epson's output will more likely last even longer, so if unprotected longevity is the primary concern, I'd go with the Epson. I own the Canon i9900 personally, accepting its possible longevity limitations for the advantages of beautiful color and incredibleprinting speed (and the ability to print larger).
gilfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:31 PM   #3

well...isn't fading a problem when it's subjected to sunlight?

if that is the main reason of fading, i think a canon would be fine for your printing needs, if you're gonna be putting them in a photo album..

but...the album is important too (haha you probably already know this)

i'd check out Creative Memories albums...high quality, acid/lignent free, and buffered...

http://creativememories.com/cwphome.aspx?GID=4100436

(lol, an advertisement for my mom )

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 1:28 PM   #4

I have the Canon i9100 (and had the S800 before that) and have printed several images off formy wife to include in her scrapbooks and with her rubber stamping business (She's a Stampin' Up! demostrator and loves their new linen albums; hey if Vito can get a shameless plug in so can I) and have not had any problems.

Ihad a print from my S800 taped (not framed underglass and hung, I mean printed it out and used a piece ofScotch tape to hang it) to my wall in my office for about 2 years and it really has not changed. Keep this in mind: I am in Oklahoma whereat 7:00 PM in July, it is still 90+ degrees out, and my office (not building, but my little space) faces the south with 2 large sets of almost floor to ceiling windows and one matching on the west wall; so I get all day sun and the heat to go with it.

I had my i9100 for about a month and had printed 5 13x19, 15 8.5x11, and 60 4x6 full bleed prints before getting the notifications that my Photo Magenta and Photo Cyan are out.

I will say that if I have more than about 15 - 20 pictures to print out, I will upload and order prints from MPIX.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 1:54 PM   #5

Sunlight(the UV) is a big part of fading, but it is only one of many factors. Others are things like the dyes reacting with ozone and several other airborn chemicals. The dyes own stability will cause them to breakdown on their own over time even if kept in the dark. Also the paper that is used can really affect the longevity of the print.

wilhelm research has done a lot of work on print permanence and used to publish tables of ink permanence for various manufacturers. They seem to have stopped doing that and I think if you are a vendor you have to purchase the data now.

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
well...isn't fading a problem when it's subjected to sunlight?

That is what I thought about some of my HP prints, that were hanging framed behind glass for a couple of years at a relatives. Then one day I had some new prints with meand noticed they had changed quite a bit, they still looked good but the color had shifted quite a bit.

dcrawley wrote:
Quote:
Ihad a print from my S800 taped (not framed under-glass and hung, I mean printed it out and used a piece ofScotch tape to hang it) to my wall in my office for about 2 years and it really has not changed.
I think Canon claims that on the right paper(theirs)using their inks, the prints may last over 70years under the right conditions,don't they?

[/quote]

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:03 PM   #6

PeterP wrote:
Quote:

dcrawley wrote:
Quote:
Ihad a print from my S800 taped (not framed under-glass and hung, I mean printed it out and used a piece ofScotch tape to hang it) to my wall in my office for about 2 years and it really has not changed.
I think Canon claims that on the right paper(theirs)using their inks, the prints may last over 70years under the right conditions,don't they?

Canon claims 30 years on the their Photo Paper Pro. I believe that it is HP that is claiming 70 or so years on their Premium line of paper.

[/quote]
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:08 PM   #7

I'll be back, when I'm 121 to verify that my HP prints are still in good shape :G

I guess I'll have to wait till I'm over 150 to check my Epson UltraChrome prints :?

I guess I'll take up wine and beer sampling till then.:whack:
Old Oct 12, 2004, 4:23 PM   #8

Thanks so much, everyone, for the replies. I really appreciated your advice (and "shameless plugs"). I ordered the i960 for $119 and can't wait to get it!

Photo Girl 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 8:39 PM   #9

I think you will be happy with it!

Every manfacturer has their quirks, but the current printers fromall the major makersseem to do an excellent job.