Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:05 AM   #1

Has anyone got satisfactory prints on Ilford fine art inkjet paper from an Epson R800 or similar?

The Ilford paper is highly textured and off-white in colour, and in theory should give some interesting results, however:

I've been unable to print at above "Photo" quality setting, moving up to "Best Photo" produces a print looking like it was printed on blotting paper! Strangely high intensity areas come out OK, it's the low-intensity areas that are all smeared about - it's almost as though the smaller ink droplets are "misting" rather than settling on the paper.

At "Photo" setting, and with the "SPR800 Matte Paper" profile I get almost bearable results, but the highlights are washed out, and still a little "smeared about". Still after two pages of test strips, this is the best I can come up with at present.

Has anyone tried this paper, it's expensive stuff, and I'd like to actually get some use out of it

Many thanks,

John Maddock
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:08 AM   #2

After some more test strips, I've found the cause of the problem: I was being extra careful and printing using the manual-feed straight throw paper path. Apparently this moves the print head away from the paper, and causes all the problems I was having. Changing to the normal paper feed allowed me to print at "Best Photo" settings (Matte heavyweight paper setting, SPR800 MatteHvyWt BstPhoto.icc profile) with pretty good results, although maybe a slight blue cast.

I thought I'd post this here in case anyone else makes the same mistake,

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote