Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:00 AM   #1

I have recently purchased the Canon i9950 after many cheaper printers in which I happily used generic ink.

I am heavily into scrapbooking - and printing numerous large layouts.

The original Canon Cartridges printed out beautifully matching my monitor and the original almost perfectly.

I have yesterday replaced four of the colors with JET TEC generic cartridges but I am very unhappy with the results??

The printouts are way too blue noticeable even with a sideways glance.

Can anybody help me out here. I perhaps expecteda very subtle variation but nothing like this?

I have used default settings only so far.:?

yvonne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:22 AM   #2

I don't claim to be any expert or even to play one on TV but I have the i9900 (North American version of 9950) and refill my cartridges regularly with little problem. I use either MIS or Inkjetgoodies ink here in the U.S. and they are very veryclose to the OEM colors. You may want to try adjusting the color through the driver settings (printing preferences, color adjustment, check themanual box, and click on set). There are color sliders that allow you to change color.
l_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:02 PM   #3

Just a quick related question. How long do the ink last? or approx how much printing you were able to do before one or more of the ink runs low.

Thanks.
yoshi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 4:17 PM   #4

I have had the exact same experience. The generic ink I used is from inkgrabber and it turns everything green. I am going to try Print Rite cartridges and see if they are more compatibe with the original Canon inks. Which brand did you use, Yvonne?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:07 PM   #5

I used Typrint - ( I am in Australia) But I figured out that it was the Photo Cyan that was causing in the problem - So I use the original Canon Photo Cyan and the rest Typrint. But I am going to consider getting a profile done on my usual paper which for the purposes of Scrapbooking 12 x 12 pages is Canon Hr 101. So that I can use all Typrint. as the Canon is great but way too pricey when you are printing mega pages of that size

Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:38 AM   #6

Thanks for your input. Yes, it seems to be the photo cyan. I yet have to find a generic manufacturer that can match it. Let me try what you did with only using the Canon Photo Cyan and the rest generic. What about the cyan itself? Any difference?
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:59 AM   #7

One more question. Have you found a low cost photo paper that has a good color balance?
Old Feb 1, 2005, 4:30 AM   #8

I use the Canon HR 101 High Resolution Paper which gives good color results at about 50c Aust. a Sheet for A3+. The thickness is not an issue as I put them into my scrapbooking sleeves and they look as good as glossy that way. I read somewhere that this paper is also quite archivally stable?

I would appreciate some feed back about your using the Canon Photo Cyan and wether you have the same results.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:10 PM   #9

Yvonne, I messed up and put in a Canon BCI-3 cartridge of photo cyan instead of the correct BCI-6 cartridge, and everything was even greener than the generic ones. Now I went back to a full set of genuine cartridges and will gradually replace them with different brands of generic ones. I just ordered the AQX brand from ebay which looks promising. They have comparisons on their site which are dead on. See here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW.

If the problem reoccurs with that brand, too, I am going to try the Canon Photo Cyan in combination with generic inks and see how it comes out. will keep you posted.

Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:31 AM   #10

I found that the Acu-Jet inks from www.master-ink.com, sold on ebay as AQX inks are the closest match to the Canon OEM's by far. Try them.